• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fiery Burst: Overpowered?

Crothian

First Post
Videssian said:
Also, the barbarian can damage more than one opponent too (Cleave/Great Cleave/Whirlwind Attack, and Supreme Cleave if one adds certain PrCs)

You can't cleave off of whirlwind attack

But even so, I would hope that two chains of feats that combine 7 feats is better then one feat. And add ona prestige class to those seven feats, it better be amazingly good compaired to that lone feat.

Nail

First Post
Paradigm said:
Reserve Feats stand up better for Clerics than Wizards/Sorcerers, the arcane guys will almost always have a better option for casting.
As would the Clerics, thank-you-very-much! :)

My cleric always had a better spell to cast, especially in those crucial first rounds of combat.

Videssian

First Post
Crothian said:
You can't cleave off of whirlwind attack

But even so, I would hope that two chains of feats that combine 7 feats is better then one feat. And add ona prestige class to those seven feats, it better be amazingly good compaired to that lone feat.

That's not quite what I meant.. more that a caster does his fiery burst which affects up to 4 opponents.. but a barbarian's attack isn't necessarily one opponent, could also be a bunch of opponents as well in that round (and you could also factor in attacks of opporunity as well).. And yeah, there's feat chains and all of that with the examples I mentioned, but that's not changing my general point. One can, of course, compare a wizard with x,y,z feats including fiery burst and a bbn with a,b,c feats and do an analysis.. but I'll leave that to others who may feel like doing that work :)

frankthedm

First Post
takasi said:
Is it any worse than the average 3rd level Power Attacking Half Orc Barbarian that can easily do 1d12+15 damage almost every other round?
1. Some folks think Power Attack was made too good in 3.5.

2. Mooks rush casters before they rush Barbarians.

Anyways a sorcerer should be unable to touch this feat until 6th level, so it should be compared to the 6th level barbarian. ;)

As far as being balanced...

Roasts mooks who get to close, those who make the save will be killing you next round.

Hurts allies and enviroment just as much as enemies. Mr. Pheonix over there will be toasting his own allies unless they stand away from him, making it easier for foes to charge him.

I have re-read what the feat does. I thought the fire blasted out from the caster around him. Far too strong to allow a ranged AoE at will.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Darklone said:
You should play a caster with Stand Still, a polearm and Combat Reflexes :D

I don't know what Stand Still is, but that's two feats the wizard is going to regret unless he's doing a lot more then being a wizard :D

Necromas

First Post
The +1 caster level is the only thing reserve feats are good for once you get 3rd or 4th level spells.

At lower levels when you're spells per day are in the single digits, the reserve feats are a nice way to make sure you don't end up sitting there trying to hit things with a crossbow.

Crothian

First Post
Necromas said:
The +1 caster level is the only thing reserve feats are good for once you get 3rd or 4th level spells.

I think a caster can get a lot of good use out of them. I know my druid is looking forward tro that elemental summoning reserve feat in a few levels. :D

Dross

Explorer
Stalker0 said:
It has no components, no concentration check, and no obvious ties to the person. Turn undead produces glowing light, bardic music is singing, dragon breath comes from the person. There's NOTHING to look at and say, oh he must be doing this.

Using a supernatural ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise.

While you do not need a concentration check, you need to concentrate to some extent to use the ability. And in a world of magic and spell-slingers that can cast a spell without moving or speaking because of feats (or psionics if used in your game), lots of people are going to start wondering who the person is that is not doing much while all of these fires are springing up.

----------
EDIT: Noticed I needed noted not noticed. :(

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads