Fifa World Cup 2010

drothgery

First Post
What about the consolation game? Germany v Uraguay? That could be pretty cool too! I just hope the Germans aren't too angry... You wouldn't like them when they're angry.

What's the history of the WC consolation game like? Generally speaking, outside of the Olympics (where it's the bronze medal game, and so seems more meaningful), consolation games in most tournaments tend to be won by whichever team hasn't decided to completely blow off the game. That's why the NCAA basketball tournament got rid of its consolation game. I mean, the Germans clearly should be huge favorites in the consolation game, but strange things can happen when one team cares and one doesn't (and I've got to think winning the consolation game would mean a lot more to Uruguay).

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
The Germany Spain game should be a good match, the Germans will be missing Muller, but I think they are too disciplined for Spain in defence and their attacks, both counter and slow build up have been devastating this year.
As one article pointed out, every team has looked bad against Spain for two years* so perhaps it isn't a coincidence that Germany did, too.

*Except Switzerland in the first round and the USA previously.

Krug

Newshound
Looking at the highlights on fifa.com it was almost all Spain except for one Germany attack which resulted in a great save.

Well I just hope it's going to be an exciting final.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Simply put, while teams like Brazil, Argentina and Germany had put on good shows but also tossed out some clunkers, Spain has played solid, all-around soccer the whole tournament. They didn't really have a game where they weren't in it- either by score or by attitude.

Phaezen

First Post
3 Place play off was a great game I though, plenty of opportunities both ends, with the Germans looking slightly more hungry and coming out 3 - 2 winners.

Only 1 more match left though :.-(

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
What a game!

91:59 and Uruguay draws a penalty in makable distance. Diego Fourlan- tied for the lead for the Golden Boot; whose every goal this Cup has been a thing of beauty and awe- bends the HELL out of it and puts it off the corner bars.

End of game.

Simply epic.

roguerouge

First Post
I see Americans are watching more soccer this year, with almost 3 million tuning in on average. Of course, regular season NFL games average more than 4 times that audience every year since 1989.

Remove ads