• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighter 1 Max Damage

Old Drew Id

First Post
I saw the description on the home page for "Dungeon Tactics #1". It says that it will show you how "a first level fighter can do a maximum of 18 hit points of damage without magic bonuses or rolling a critical hit."

So I started to ponder what that build was, and if there was one better. I came up with a first level fighter that can do 21 points just using the SRD, and one that can do 27 points using Complete Warrior. Both can do so without magic and without rolling a critical hit.

Here's what I came up with from the SRD:
Half-Orc fighter 1
18 Strength +2 racial bonus = 20 Strength
Feats: Power Attack, any other fighter feat

Greatsword = 2d6 damage
2-handed = +7 damage (Str bonus X 1.5)
Power Attack = +2 damage (+1 BAB X 2 for 2-handed use)

= 2d6+9 = maximum 21 points of damage without a crit or magic

Here's what I came up with from the SRD and Complete Warrior:
Half-Orc fighter 1
18 Strength +2 racial bonus = 20 Strength
Feats: Power Attack, Monkey Grip

Large-sized Greatsword = 3d6 damage
2-handed = +7 damage (Str bonus X 1.5)
Power Attack = +2 damage (+1 BAB X 2 for 2-handed use)

= 3d6+9 = maximum 27 points of damage without a crit or magic

starwed

First Post
You could use the regular orc instead of the half orc for an even bigger strength. (It's LA +0, just like the half orc.)

FalcWP

Explorer
How about a half-orc with a 20 strength, Power Attack, Mounted Combat, charging on a horse with a lance? Nice way to add on double damage. (1d8 + 7 (Strength) + 2 (Power Attack for 1) x 2, or 34 max damage, without a crit.

Or, Power Attack and Two Weapon Fighting, and use two lances while mounted for (1d8 + 5 + 1) x2 + (1d8 + 2 + 1) x 2, for 28 + 22, or 50 damage, without a crit (albeit with fairly large penalties on the attack roll).

Remove ads