• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighter help for an upcoming campaign

Ebony Dragon

First Post
Updated 5/8/12
Switched things up to using a reach weapon to better utilize trips. Thanks for the discussion everyone!

In an upcoming game I am considering playing a Fighter. I expect the game will go all the way to level 20, so I would like my character to remain effective throughout.

This will be my first time playing a purely feat based melee character since the early days of 3.0 (usually I play spell casters), so I am feeling a bit unsure of exactly how build him. I am expecting we will use the 18 point buy for stat generation, and we will start the game with two traits.

My current thinking is to be primarily a THF taking many feats along the trip chain and the critical chain, along with other combat utility feats when possible. Of course I will have a longbow as backup, but I don't really find archery very fun to play so I don't want that to be a primary role for the character.

So what I am asking for advice about, is what should I do to make this character effective? I have a rough outline posted below, but I'm sure I missed things and would appreciate input. Are there feats I forgot to take that should be on this list? What about feats for high level? What about class archtypes for this kind of character? Most of the fighter archtypes seem to ditch armor training for their powers, which I am reluctant to do because armor training is SO GOOD. But maybe its worth it?

Human Fighter
Str: 14 (16 after race bonus)
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 13
Wis: 12
Cha: 8

Traits:
Eyes and Ears of the City (Perception)
Suspicious (Sense Motive)

Feats:
01- Exotic Weapon Prof (Fauchard)
01- Weapon Focus (Fauchard)
01- Combat Expertise
02- Improved Trip
03- Combat Reflexes
04- Outflank (teamwork)
05- Iron Will
06- Greater Trip
07- Power Attack
08- Improved Critical (Fauchard)
09- Tripping Strike
10- Greater Weapon Focus (Fauchard)
11- Pin Down
12- Critical Focus
13- Critical Stagger
14- Fury's Fall
15- Disruptive
16- Spellbreaker
17- Critical Stun
18+ ??

Last edited:

Ebony Dragon

First Post
Which books are you allowed to use? You mention archetypes, so I am "assuming" Core + APG at minimum. Any 3PP, UC or UM?
All Paizo Pathfinder books will be allowed. 3rd party Pathfinder stuff I would want to get approved with the group and the DM before using.

Enkindu594

First Post
Since you wont have reach I think that you should replace combat reflexes with Weapon Specialization. If you don't take Weapon Spec, and greater weapon spec you are giving up part of your "fighter advantage". With that being said I would move Fury's Fall to 14 and take greater weapon spec when it's available at 12

There is an archetype for fighters who specialize in fighting with two handed weapons, but honestly, I don't think it's worth it. You can find the archetype here: Two-Handed Fighter - Pathfinder_OGC

A few things I'd like to point out and ask:

• Indomitable Faith is a good trait to get for your +1 to WILL saves.
  • See if you DM will allow Defender of the Society as a trait in your game, it's pretty nice for Fighters.
  • I'd grab Power Attack as early as possible like at level 1 so that you are pumping out more damage at earlier levels and throughout.
  • Why are you going down the tripping line if you don't really have a tripping and/or reach weapon in the Elven Curved Blade? I think a weapon with reach and better tripping abilities would be a more optimized way to go. Think about the Fauchard which will also give you an 18-20 threat range and x2 multiplier
  • Personally, if I was going to take Step Up, I'd grab the other two in the feat chain so that you can get Step Up & Strike
  • I'd also take Iron Will earlier rather than later if you want to go that route, or just grab the trait I listed so you are only down by 1 and can pick up a different feat.
  • Think about picking up Lunge for a greater reach advantage, especially if you go Fauchard and then you get 15 feet instead of 10.
  • I'd probably steer clear of the Vital Strike Chain, sure it's nice if you have to move and attack so that you get a bit extra damage, but if you have a reach weapon and lunge you really don't need it to keep on an enemy, then if you go with the step-up & strike chain you can move up to 10 feet and get an AOO off and keep within range to deal your full attacks the next time it's your turn.
  • I'd also look at adding Weapon Specialization and Greater Weapon Specialization as they are additional damage output.
  • As an aside, I've got a fighter who is using the 2H archetype, which is pretty nice, but I've dipped a couple of levels barbarian so the armor restrictions don't hurt me like they would a normal fighter.

Mad Hamish

First Post
Largely backing up what other people have said I'm not sure that going for trip without a reach weapon is worth it. It also removes the requirement for higher int so you could drop it down a couple of points and probably put other abilities up a touch (if you dropped it to 8 you could put str up and still have an adjusted int of 10, if you drop it to 10 you still have a bonus skill point out of it after racial adjustment).
Weapon Specialization and greater weapon specialization are worth it for the damage boost and if you don't go for tripping you've got the feats free easily.
If you want to go tripping then look at polearms or something else with reach, preferably also with a high threat range.
The order of the feats could be worth tinkering with, it's rare that you won't want to power attack so look to move it up, Iron Will can be a party saver at low levels

Ebony Dragon

First Post
Thanks guys for the ideas! Lots of suggestions for reach weapon. I do admit the prospect of a reach weapon tripping fighter intrigues me. Is it worth the drawback of not being able to attack adjacent enemies though? How often do you find opponents backing you into a wall or something to prevent moving back with a 5' to keep attacking?

Ramaster

Adventurer
Is the race set in stone?

If 3rd party is allowed, Oakling and Half-Giant (Both on the SRD) are great. If monster races are allowed, I'm sure some other race with +2 strenght should be around there somewhere. The thing is that a 2HF reeeealy benefits from hight STR. A starting 16 is going to go a long way.

If you choose other race, spending a feat on weapon focus on the Elven Blade won't be worth it. Consider a Falchon for very similar effect.

I would advice against tripping. Putting a 13 on inteligence seems like a waste for something that won't be that effective. On lower levels, simply attacking your enemies will deal outrageous damage and on higher levels the monster's CMDs goes too high (not to mention, all the enemies that are outright immune to it).

As for the feats, check out Furious Focus. It makes a great combo with Vital Strike!

If you can consider multiclass, two barbarian levels will give you a little more HP, fast movement, rage and (most importantly) the stupid good Reckless Abandon Rage Power (Basicaly, power attack subtracts AC instead of attack bonus).

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I have a couple of questions that should help us help you better.

1) What is the rest of the party going to be?
2) What can you tell us about the campaign and setting?
3) Any play style preferences you have.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads