• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighter KOTS pregen missing ability?

shadowlance

First Post
The KotS fighter pregen has...

Combat Superiority: You gain a +2 to opportunity attacks.

The DDXP fighter pregen had...

Combat Superiority: +2 to opportunity attacks and enemies hit stop moving if a move provoked the attack

Do we have any idea if this is a change to the fighter or if its another "space consideration" issue?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'd recommend using the power from the DDXP fighter. My guess is that the KotS fighter had the description simplified or cut for space.

jtrowell

First Post
Read again : the KotS loste the ability to prevent movement with an AO, but instead is able to make an immediate attack when an adjacent marked enemy is attacking someone else.

There is probably a fighter class feature when you chose between the 2 abilities

shadowlance

First Post
JT is correct, the Combat Challenge is also different (thanks for pointing that out). Hmm. I wonder if that's a build difference or something else. I guess I (we) will just have to wait and see.

Thanks for the replies.

Sitara

Explorer
If they were truly changed that s a little worrying. More than a little. I mean level 1 abilities getting switched two minths before release? The paladin ability was also changed, and that was spotted by playtesters AT ddxp!

Makes you wonder about the 29 levels that have not yet seen mass playtesting such as at ddxp.

Dunamin

First Post
I really hope it remains the way it worked from D&D XP. The Fighter is beyond a shred of doubt the class I'm most looking forward to.

Sitara said:
If they were truly changed that s a little worrying. More than a little. I mean level 1 abilities getting switched two minths before release? The paladin ability was also changed, and that was spotted by playtesters AT ddxp!

Makes you wonder about the 29 levels that have not yet seen mass playtesting such as at ddxp.

Wow, take it easy :)

There are two perfectly acceptable reasons for the ability to be different on the two characters: the KotS one got clipped for space (as we know they have done on other sheets) or that we're looking at the two different types of fighters.

Second, the Paladin ability was spotted and changed before DDXP, it just wasn't reflected on the sheets.

Stormtalon

First Post
jtrowell said:
Read again : the KotS loste the ability to prevent movement with an AO, but instead is able to make an immediate attack when an adjacent marked enemy is attacking someone else.

There is probably a fighter class feature when you chose between the 2 abilities

I'd hazard it's this; there's another major difference between the DDXP fighter and the KotS fighter which I think everyone is overlooking.

DDXP fighter -- 1-handed + shield
KotS fighter -- 2-handed maul

While the DDXP one has ways of keeping baddies stuck in place, the KotS one is more built around fighting shoulder-to-shoulder with another defender. In fact, now that I think about it, a few months back when Marking was first discussed, they mentioned that they made marks supercede each other due to a nasty unexpected synergy between a fighter ability and a paladin ability. I think this might be what they're talking about.

Had marks been allowed to stack, here's what would be happening constantly: Fighter and paladin both mark BBEG and stand side-by-side. If BBEG goes to attack Paladin, the fighter gets to whomp him hard. If BBEG goes to attack Fighter, hello Radiant-Damage-Nurse! Too powerful by far.

As it stands now, there's still a synergy but a more subtle one. Now the fighter and paladin can take turns being the punching bag; if the fighter gets too beat up, the paladin marks and becomes the new target & vice versa. It becomes a give-and-take instead giving the monster a big ol' Catch-22.

So, no, it's not an oversight, it's just a different fighter option in play.

*edit for clarification*

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads