• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighter or Samurai?

Arkhandus said:
Spelling is 'emulate', just to nit-pick.
I think he actually meant immolate. :D

Anyway; what do I think? Well they're both fine classes. How about a little more background? What's the decision criteria here? What setting? What are you hoping to do with the class?

Or are you just asking which is mechanically better from a powergaming perspective (if so, I have no opinion on it.)

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
So what are the classic Samurai moves?

I'm unfamiliar with any but the most fictional Samurai representations (including Jack).

Thanks, -- N

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Nifft said:

I'm unfamiliar with any but the most fictional Samurai representations (including Jack).

Thanks, -- N

What do you mean with moves? The way they fight? Iaido/Iaijutsu?

Voadam

Legend
Nifft said:

Thanks, -- N

Jack's a fine representation.

A couple classic moves:

The quickdraw strike.

Two samurai squaring off swords raised evaluating each other, then they run at each other and each makes a strike, once past each other one drops dead.

Charging wearing flip flops.

Two weapon fighting with a longsword and short sword.

A rapid flurry of blows with a bunch of parrying.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Kae'Yoss said:
What do you mean with moves? The way they fight? Iaido/Iaijutsu?
Perhaps "moves" is the wrong word. Signature abilities which require game mechanical representation.

The "battle of wills" in ToB is an example that I think applies. :)

Cheers, -- N

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Voadam said:
Two weapon fighting with a longsword and short sword.

I'm not sure how much of this is fiction, but at least in Rokugan the norm is fighting with the Katana in two hands and not using the wakizashi much, except maybe for a backup - and of course in seppuku.

Only the Dragon clan uses two blades at once, and they wield the katana in one hand. This niten-stile uses the wakizashi defensively while attacking with the katana.

The D&D representation of the katana as masterwork bastard sword is spot on for this, since you usually use it two-handed, but some go for some special training to use it in one.

Nifft said:
Perhaps "moves" is the wrong word. Signature abilities which require game mechanical representation.

The "battle of wills" in ToB is an example that I think applies. :)

That battle of wills would probably part of the iaijutsu/iaido duel.

Before a duel starts in earnest, the two combatants will size each other up. If one finds the other to be clearly superior in skill, he can surrender without losing face (of course, if the duel was to be fought to the death, he'll commit seppuku).

If neither backs down, they will duel, which has two phaces: focus and strike. During the focus phase, you'll concentrate to focus all your being into the perfect strike. That strike combines drawing the blade and striking in one smooth movement.

That should definetly get some coverage for a samurai. The Iaijutsu Focus skill works well for this, but many of the B9S manoeuvres fit the flavour, so you could create a warblade character and call him samurai (that's what I've done for a game I'm playing in currently)

Another facet that should be in is the fact that samurai aren't just fighting men - they're lords, the ruling nobility, and expected to be well-educated. Your average samurai has to know the intricacies of the court, etiquette, and many learn some art or craft like calligraphy, origami, flower arranging, poetry, or the crafting of katanas.

Then there's bushido - the way of the warrior. It has several tenets, foremost among them honour. A samurai who disregards bushido brings dishonour to himself and others.

Of course, part of the code is "death before dishonour".

A samurai's ancestral swords - the long katana and the shorter wakizashi - also play part of the codex, and might get some representation in the rules (like the OA samurai's ancestral daisho ability).

Nuclear Platypus

First Post
Speaking of ancestral daisho, where was an XP version of the chart to upgrade them? OA's got the "spend gold" variant but I'd rather have to dump XP into it since I'm more likely to get that than cash in the campaign I'm in. Could've sworn it was in a Dragon issue but don't recall (the one where OA got 3.5'd?). Heck, even better is if it were online as part of the SRD (which I'm sure its not) or someone's variant rules.

Arkhandus

First Post
There's a horrible, HORRIBLE variant for Samurai to pay XP instead of making wealth sacrifices to the ancestors, in the Rokugan book by AEG.

I say it's HORRIBLE because it's HORRIBLY BROKEN. You pay a piddly amount of XP for the daisho enhancements with that variant. It's absurd.

This is the compromise version I came up with for a player in my Rhunaria campaign. I don't think merely sacrificing XP would be quite appropriate anyway for the way the Samurai is written, but I dunno. You have to respect the ancestors, yo! :heh: And that means taking care of the family shrines sometimes.

Minimum...........Total........Total GP..............Total
Samurai.............XP..........Value Of..........Enhancement
Class Level.......Cost........Sacrifices...........Equivalent
4th...................60.............750...................+1
7th...................240...........3,000................+2
9th...................480...........6,750................+3
11th.................960...........12,000...............+4
13th.................1,500........18,750...............+5
14th.................2,160........27,000...............+6*
15th.................3,090........36,750...............+7*
16th.................3,840........48,000...............+8*
17th.................4,860........60,750...............+9*
18th.................6,000........75,000...............+10*
*Actual enhancement bonus cannot exceed +5

And I was probably still too generous in lowering the GP cost for the amount of XP cost I required. But Rhunaria has less wealth than standard settings, which I think is the only reason I didn't increase the costs a bit beyond this.

Nuclear Platypus

First Post
Arkhandus said:
There's a horrible, HORRIBLE variant for Samurai to pay XP instead of making wealth sacrifices to the ancestors, in the Rokugan book by AEG.

I say it's HORRIBLE because it's HORRIBLY BROKEN. You pay a piddly amount of XP for the daisho enhancements with that variant. It's absurd.

Is it broken like the Kensai / Kensei variant in Complete Warrior? Something like 50 xp for a +1 weapon? I know I saw a version in a Dragon magazine but yours might work if I can talk the DM into it.

Remove ads