• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Fighter (Playtest 7)

Skayaq

Explorer
Everyone talking about how amazing the fighter looks makes me think I'm reading a different version from everyone else because I'm just not seeing it?
They still have basically no high level features, Tactical mind just doesn't read that great to me, they removed martial adept but kept the much worse martial expert and moved it to later level, battlemaster still doesn't get new maneuvers at higher levels so it quickly becomes pick the least bad option, know thy enemy is still mostly a ribbon but now only once per day instead of at will (it sure isn't worth spending a superiority dice on).
So what am I missing? why does everyone think it is great?

Horwath

Legend
Everyone talking about how amazing the fighter looks makes me think I'm reading a different version from everyone else because I'm just not seeing it?
They still have basically no high level features, Tactical mind just doesn't read that great to me, they removed martial adept but kept the much worse martial expert and moved it to later level, battlemaster still doesn't get new maneuvers at higher levels so it quickly becomes pick the least bad option, know thy enemy is still mostly a ribbon but now only once per day instead of at will (it sure isn't worth spending a superiority dice on).
when you are conditioned to bad features, any mediocre addition seems like a great upgrade.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
There is a heavy trend in the way and things Crawford, Perkins, and now Kendrick speak in all the videos. Since the TCOE videos into every single there is a trend of certain things coming up

1. An overall shock and surprise in common issues found in games that do not follow the base assumptions to the letter
    1. We found that people feel forced to have a 16 in the their prime stat
    2. We found that people want to play race/class combos where the racial ASI are not a classes primary or secondary score
    3. We found that people think Monsters in the MM are bland?
    4. We found Warlocks don't have enough spells
    5. We found that Monks run out of Ki fast
    6. We found that Fighter and Babraians were weak out outside of combat
      1. We found that some groups can have sessions with no combats.
  2. Overall giddyness over unoptimized actions
    1. BRAWLING!!
  3. Overall hype of underpowered UA and playtest class features
I mean if you are commenting that in 2023 that you realize that some tables can go a whole session with no fighting, your table is not standard.
So no, then. Just speculation. 👍

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Take another look at Second Wind compared to the 2014 version. And Tactical Mind is amazing, it makes a Fighter not just a top tier Skill user, it encourages risky behavior which is fantastic.

Also, the new Fighter, like the old Fighter makes total mincemeat of anything that comes in their path and consistently.

Last edited:

Why wouldn’t a 2-handed improvised weapon be comparable to a greatclub?
Same reason DMs keep being weird about letting martials do even real-world achievable athletic tasks.

'uhh, a greatclub only weighs 10 pounds, it just seems weird to compare that to a giant's severed leg, man, I better stay on the safe side rather than let you get 2 extra average dmg'

You don't want to need DM permission for a core part of your (sub)class.

Remove ads