• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Fighter/Ranger optimization help

Zipster

Explorer
Unfortunately, I do not have the PHB so I cannot quote everything in it's specifics; having looked through it as much as a non-owner can (there are 3 within the group, so I find little need in purchasing one ASAP), and seeing what the group currently has, I've decided to go the route of a Fighter/Ranger

Current starting level is 7; so far, from how I envision things the character would be a sort of leader/commander of sorts. Stats have yet to be rolled.

Human race for the bonus feat.
Warrior 3 for Archery and Superiority Dice, with the choices going the intimidating strike, the one that gives a teammate an attack of opportunity/ability to reposition - haven't decided on the third just yet.
Weapon of choice would be the crossbow, with the crossbow expert feat.
Ranger 4 should give the giant-slayer ability (I believe that's what it's called) for the extra d8 on attack.
I do believe that another level will give a bonus attack as well.

I haven't decided on armor just yet, that'll likely depend on the stats.

Again, without an actual PHB it's hard to do a full run-down of the character in mind, but my question is if this seems like a viable approach and if there is anything in particular I should consider a "must-have" or if there is a better route for this character idea.

Thanks

Rune

Once A Fool
Off the top of my head, with a 3/4 or 4/3 martial/martial split, you're going to really miss having the extra attack you would get from taking 5th level in one of those classes.

Last edited:

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
I agree with Rune. You'll really miss that extra attack.

Can you elaborate on what you want to do / what you want this character to accomplish?

Looking at what you've got so far, it appears you want:

1. Ranged attacks
2. "Leader/commander"
3. Abilities that let you position teammates
4. A once-per-round damage add

I think a Fighter 6/Rogue 1 should get you what you want. Extra Attack, maneuvers, and Sneak Attack. Expertise makes you an effective leader (Persuade + Intimidate Expertise) even if your Cha isn't the best. And if you do have a decent Cha, you can pick up Inspiring Leader.

If you don't care about Expertise (and the extra 1 or 2 skill proficiency, depending on whether level 1 is Fighter or Rogue) then go with Warlock instead. Hex is amazing, as an archer you shouldn't have to make too many Concentration checks, and assuming your first level is Fighter you'll have Con proficiency anyway. In this case you'd be Fighter 6/Warlock 1. As an archer I recommend a Fey patron for Sleep and Fey Presence--Fey Presence gives you the ability to pull some Gandalf-like "DO NOT TAKE ME FOR SOME CONJURER OF CHEAP TRICKS!" moments. That one level will serve you well, or go one more level and get some invocations. It's hard to beat Devil's Sight (as an archer and a human), and for the second invocation you could go with Misty Visions or Mask of Many Faces for some on-demand camouflage and trickery, or with Repelling Blast if you want to add some Push effects to your Eldritch Blasts.

Speaking of which: are you married to the idea of a martial character? Because you could go with a traditional Warlock 7, Eldritch Blast-focused "archer", picking up Devil's Sight, Agonizing Blast, Repelling Blast, and One With Shadows. Pick up Inspiring Leader for a significant dose of temp HP for you and your friends. Now you're a ranged attacking, charismatic, buffing, repositioning, two-attacks-per-turning, +1d6 per attacking, leader/commander. Who turns invisible when he stops moving and can see in all darkness (including the Darkness he casts himself).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads