Fighter Subclass: The Bravura! (INT-based, tactical, non-magical)

mellored

Legend
More thoughts on this:

1) It would be a good candidate for requiring a shield, at least for the defensive version. Could be rewritten as:
"When a ranged attack is made against a target for which you are providing half-cover because of your position, as a reaction you may decrease the cover to none until the end of the turn. Alternatively, if you are carrying a shield you may increase it to full cover."

2) That said, another nifty version would be: "When a ranged attack is made against a target for which you are providing half-cover because of your position, but before the attack is resolved, as a reaction you may make yourself the target instead."

The second is cooler, but doesn't have an offensive variant. I guess both could be included...?
I'd say both. But perhaps generalize the second one more to cover different things.

Heroic Sacrifice
"When a willing creature within 5' is targeted by an attack, spell, or other similar effect, you can push them 5' and move into their space. You then become the target."

Edit: And perhaps "Shield wall" for the first one.

Last edited:

G

Guest 6801328

Folded in a bunch of changes, plus reverted to debit model. (I think the only thing I really liked about the credit model is that it prevents extra reactions before your first turn when you are surprised. That's a nice touch. It could be added to the debit model, but only as an inelegant special exception.)

mellored

Legend
Folded in a bunch of changes, plus reverted to debit model. (I think the only thing I really liked about the credit model is that it prevents extra reactions before your first turn when you are surprised. That's a nice touch. It could be added to the debit model, but only as an inelegant special exception.)
The rules already cover it.

If you're surprised, you can't move or take an action on your first turn of the combat, and you can't take a reaction until that turn ends

I just kept it for the credit model.

G

Guest 6801328

The rules already cover it.

If you're surprised, you can't move or take an action on your first turn of the combat, and you can't take a reaction until that turn ends

I just kept it for the credit model.

Duh...right. Thanks.

Oh, I thought of a two new contingencies last night. Will update OP.

Last edited by a moderator:

G

Guest 6801328

So we’d have some reactive stuff and then on your turn some proactive stuff. Some actions that carry forward.

I thought about the above comment, and just added another move, "The Setup", at the end of the list. It both gives the Bravura a chance to buff him/herself, in a way that helps address the concern about effectiveness in small parties, and adds an interesting twist to decision-making.

The Old Crow

Explorer
[*]The Setup: When a creature attacks you with a melee attack, as a reaction you can set up a counterattack. On your turn, all attacks you make against this creature are with Advantage.

Good when the Bravura only uses their normal reaction to do it, rather than trade in an attack. I am not sure how many extra attacks the Bravura would need to make the trade of an attack worthwhile to gain Advantage. But that's definitely really good when there is nothing else to use the regular reaction on.

mellored

Legend
Good when the Bravura only uses their normal reaction to do it, rather than trade in an attack. I am not sure how many extra attacks the Bravura would need to make the trade of an attack worthwhile to gain Advantage. But that's definitely really good when there is nothing else to use the regular reaction on.
Did someone call for calculations?! Here I come to math the day!

2 attacks > 1 attack with advantage. (roughly 36% less damage)
3 attacks >= 2 attacks with advantage. (advantage is better if you have 50% or lower accuracy. But you generally 12% damage).
4 attacks < 3 attacks with advantage. (12% more damage)

Just using your reaction, it's 24% more damage, assuming the creature lives long enough to take all the damage.
Also, action surge.

So yea, it's probably fine. I think it's obvious enough that you want to make more attack with advantage. So people won't be trading it away their attacks if they use it.

G

Guest 6801328

Did someone call for calculations?! Here I come to math the day!

2 attacks > 1 attack with advantage. (roughly 36% less damage)
3 attacks >= 2 attacks with advantage. (advantage is better if you have 50% or lower accuracy. But you generally 12% damage).
4 attacks < 3 attacks with advantage. (12% more damage)

Just using your reaction, it's 24% more damage, assuming the creature lives long enough to take all the damage.
Also, action surge.

So yea, it's probably fine. I think it's obvious enough that you want to make more attack with advantage. So people won't be trading it away their attacks if they use it.

It's a simple "to hit" vs. # of attacks calculation.

But even using your first reaction is a gamble, because something may come up before your turn where you want to use a reaction. And even if you compute that that reaction is worth the investment, another one may still come up...

And that's without the credit model!

mellored

Legend
Going back over everything...

Tactical Awareness (renamed from Legendary Moves)
At 3rd level you excel at adapting opportunistically to changes in the battlefield, allowing you to take more than one reaction between your turns by trading attacks for reactions:
  • You can take a number of extra reactions equal to the number of attacks you have, but no more than your Intelligence modifier.
  • The great idea that started it all.
    [*]You are limited to one reaction per turn.
    I still don't like the 1/turn limit. It just seems like a penalty to small parties and skirmishes.

[*]When an ally makes an attack roll or an ability check, as a reaction you may take the Help action as a reaction, provided you are in a position to do so.
    Also choose two of the following reactions. Choose one more at levels 7, 10, 15, and 18. Each time you gain a level in this class you may exchange one of your current choices for a different one.
    Good to have a generic default, and seems like a good amount of options.

[*]Voice of Reason: When an ally within 30’ fails a Wisdom saving throw, as a reaction you may allow them to re-roll, although the second roll is made with Disadvantage.
    I would add Int and Cha to this.
    And dispite the extra die rolls, I'm liking it.

[*]Action Hero: When you and/or allies are required to make a Dexterity saving throw, as a reaction you can shout a warning. Anybody within 30' who can hear you may choose to dive for cover, gaining 1d4 on the saving throw but landing Prone.
    I would add Str to this.
    Also increase it to d6 since you could fall prone and roll a 20 anyways.

Humanoid Shield: When a ranged attack is made against a target for which you are providing half-cover because of your position, but before the attack is resolved, as a reaction you may move into the path of the attack, making yourself the new target.
    Seems a bit niche and covers too much of the same ground as Interference.
    I'd trigger on more effects (spells, melee attacks, ect...)

[*]Pawn to King Four: When a creature moves on its turn into a space within 5' of you, as a reaction you may move into it first. This does not consume any of your regular movement for the round, and the blocked creature may continue using its movement.
    Move how far? Suggest half your speed. And seems like it could have a little more trigger range, since your only moving.
    Seems like the perfect one that can be combo'd with other reactions. Letting you expend 2 attacks to run across the battlefiend and protect someone.

The rest of the contigenices look good and seem to cover everything.

Poetry in Motion
    Also at 3rd level, if you are not wearing Heavy armor and are not encumbered, you may move 5' prior to taking a reaction, in order to be able to take a reaction with a positional requirement. This movement does not provoke Attacks of Opportunity. The distance you may move increases to 10' at level 10. Once you use this ability you may not use it again until after your next turn.
    Nice.

So Crazy It Just Might Work
    At 7th level you are able to improvise improbably effective plans. If you spend one minute communicating with allies about a specific goal you describe, up to six allies who you select can each make one ability check with Advantage in the next 10 minutes, provided it contributes directly to that goal. Example goals are “Break into the castle”, “Persuade the King”, or “Defend this Bridge.” Once you use this ability you cannot use it again until you have finished a short rest.
    Very Solid.

Speed of Thought
    Starting at 10th level you may add your Intelligence modifier to your Initiative rolls.
    Ok.

Overreaction
    At 15th level, on any turn you have taken a reaction you can expend an Action Surge in order to take up to two more reactions in that same turn. None of the reactions you take that turn count toward your maximum, or have to be paid for with attacks.
    This seems both a bit confusing, and a bit weak.
    I don't have any good suggestion.

Endgame
    At 18th level, your ability to calculate next moves and visualize probable outcomes gives you a moment’s warning of impending catastrophe, possibly allowing you to intervene before Death itself strikes. When you or another creature within 30’ of you is reduced to zero HP or dies, you may use a reaction to force any one roll from this turn to be re-rolled. If you currently have Inspiration you may use it to grant or impose your choice of Advantage or Disadvantage on the re-roll. You must be conscious and able to move in order to use this ability, and once you use it you cannot use it again until you have finished a long rest.[/QUOTE]I'd would remove the Insperation and just give advantage/disavantage on the reroll. This is a 1/long rest thing after all.
    Also no need to say that your concious if you need to use a reaction.

G

Guest 6801328

Move how far? Suggest half your speed. And seems like it could have a little more trigger range, since your only moving.

Well, 5' is the default. But you can also use your poetry in motion, so really 10' to 15' range. Yes, you are "only" moving but you are also doing it before the event that triggered it. In that sense it's like Shield. It's actually quite (situationally) powerful...an enemy tries to slip through an open space to attack your wizard, or to escape combat, and you can block it.

Seems like the perfect one that can be combo'd with other reactions. Letting you expend 2 attacks to run across the battlefiend and protect someone.

See below.

This seems both a bit confusing, and a bit weak.
I don't have any good suggestion.

In the previous example, you block the guy and he tries to go around you. Action Surge, Attack of Opportunity, and maybe even a 3rd reaction depending on what else is going on. And none of them count toward your max or cost you attacks on your next turn.

But apparently it could stand some wordsmithing....

Endgame
I'd would remove the Insperation and just give advantage/disavantage on the reroll. This is a 1/long rest thing after all. [/QUOTE]

Hmm. I feel like forcing a re-roll of basically anything that just caused an ally to drop/die is already pretty powerful. But maybe.

Also no need to say that your concious if you need to use a reaction.

Excellent point.

Remove ads