• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighters and Feats

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Nyaricus said:
blarg! Yeah, that's it, and damn you for getting that book - they are out of print, and that was one of them that my FLGS couldn't get in
Actually, I got it while I was on vacation in California. I have a friend there that I visited for a half a day and he took me to the FLGS. It was in their bargain bin, so I made off like a bandit $60 worth of books (Nyambe, Arcana: Societies of Magic, [Scarred Lands] The Wise & The Wicked, Complete Psionic, Wheel of Time: Prophecies of the Dragon and Adventure!) when my friend bought me this stuff. I paid $6 for Bow & Blade.

Later we stopped and the bookstore, to find they had older edition books for sale. I managed to acquire Ravenloft's The Shadow Rift and the Ravenloft Monstrous Compendium Appendix III. My friend bought me the AD&D 2nd Ed Revised PHB from there too.

Who knew that vacations could yield gaming gold? :D :cool:

taliesin15

First Post
I think the Fighter class is plenty powerful enough in either 3.0 or 3.5 and doesn't need any more feats. Perhaps some interesting ones are yet out there or have yet to be invented, but I think this sort of thing extends from an essential boredom with the game, a kind of existential emptiness that only shopping for magic items, tricking out your PC with the latest and greatest, and being one up on other players can sate. It's as if role playing and adventuring isn't enough.

pawsplay

Hero
I don't share your viewpoint. I don't find characters boring at all. I just think it would be cool if fighters had the abilities that would let them face down some of the nastier things in the game, like great wyrms.

Pinotage

Explorer
pawsplay said:
Does anyone have experience with the Patrick Younts PDF?

I bought it some time ago and to be honest haven't really looked much at it since. I seem to recall it had one or two neat things in it, but I've never used them. PHBII does a good job.

Pinotage

Cedric

First Post
The fighter is more powerful now at higher levels than it's ever been. Largely because of the many feats and feat chains the fighter can access...

As well as the fact that the fighter can dip into multiple other classes without notably slowing down their BAB progression.

You could make a very effective...

Rogue 3
Barbarian 3
Ranger 3
Fighter 11

or mix in various Prestige Classes as well.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Frukathka said:
Who knew that vacations could yield gaming gold? :D :cool:

They can! My most recent vacation, we went to a place called Cool Stuff. People exchange old video games and such there; they also exchange gaming material. Found brand new copies of Werewolf: The Forsaken and Silver Marches for $8 and $6 respectively. I would have picked up Shadowrun 4rth Ed for $8 but the spine had a tear at the top.

Tzarevitch

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
I used to agree, until PHB2 came out. With the fighter feats in that book, I think this is no longer the case. Mid- to high-level fighters are devastating with the right feat selection--as they should be. :)

I second that statement. PHBII is a godsend for fighters. Now, at mid to high level they can put out whopping damage AND complete 2-3 feat trees to gain special maneuvers.

Really, a fighter is as powerful or weak as you build them to be. It is just that now, thanks to PHBII, it is actually possible to build a powerful fighter.

Tzarevitch

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads