• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighters and Feats

pawsplay

Hero
So, the Fighter is often pointed to as a class that is a touch underpowered. I disagree, but it's certainly been left in the dust as far as expansions go. What the fighter really needs are a bunch of really nice feats that have lots of feats as prerequisites; i.e. feats that are designed for fighters or characters who concentrate on that feat.

So besides the PHBII, what are some really good sources for well-written, balanced feats, particularly those aimed at high level fighters? Complete Warrior, Complete Adventurer, and the Minis handbook have some crunchy-Os, but not a lot of feats like I am thinking about.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I support this thread in theory (so I bumped it with a post), but really, you've named some of the best options for a fighter to look in already. I mean, one can never discount things like Draconomicon, Races of Destiny, and Book of Exalted Deeds. But there are so many fighter options these days it is practiaclly sickening.

I agree that the fighter is a touch underpowered. That is why I give them extra stuff in my campaigns: an extra weapon proficiency or weapon focus/specialization at 3rd, 7th, 11th, 15th, and 19th, leadership at 5th (only fighter levels add to score), landlord at 9th, renown at 13th, and great renown at 17th.

airwalkrr said:
I agree that the fighter is a touch underpowered.

I used to agree, until PHB2 came out. With the fighter feats in that book, I think this is no longer the case. Mid- to high-level fighters are devastating with the right feat selection--as they should be. :)

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
As the game adds more generally useful feats or generally useful combat feats, in theory, the balance tends to tip in favor of the Fighter. The Fighter has more opportunity to build the interesting combos.

Of course the introduction of specialized feats works in the other direction. PrCs tend to as well.

Mouseferatu said:
I used to agree, until PHB2 came out. With the fighter feats in that book, I think this is no longer the case. Mid- to high-level fighters are devastating with the right feat selection--as they should be. :)

The problem is, far too many DM's see those feats and think "WHOAH! Thats unbalanced! Its better than (insert crappy feat here)". Which is kind of the point, toughness, dodge, mobility, skill focus, the ungodly multitude of +2/+2's etc are supposed to suck, their primary purpose was a PRC punishment entry.

If the PHB actually contained useful high level feats, it would be a different story, instead of the aggravating claims that the splatbooks are out to unbalance the game, rather than fix an existing imbalance in high level feat choices.

I also give fighters 4 skill points (along with making all skills class skills for all classes) so they can do something outside of combat, or actually be useful in social situations (Roy Greenhilt anyone?)

ehren37 said:
The problem is, far too many DM's see those feats and think "WHOAH! Thats unbalanced! Its better than (insert crappy feat here)". Which is kind of the point, toughness, dodge, mobility, skill focus, the ungodly multitude of +2/+2's etc are supposed to suck, their primary purpose was a PRC punishment entry.

Absolutely. And I'm not 100% certain that a few of them aren't a little too good. (I'm still on the fence regarding Robilar's Gambit.) But the vast majority of 'em are solid enough.

The bottom line where this issue is concerned is, of course, simply this: The best written rulebook in the world still cannot compensate for poor judgment on the part of a DM.

(The reverse, of course, is that a good DM can compensate for even a horribly written rulebook, but that's a different point entirely.)

smootrk

First Post
I tend to grant bonus skill points to fighters on those 'off' levels where they don't get feats. However, those points are directed towards character concept or backgrounds.

For instance, a fighter who is modeled as a Knight would get some skill points to apply towards Knowledge Nobility, Riding, etc.
Another fighter who is modeled on Pirates would get some skill points to apply to Profession Sailor, Knowledge Geography, etc.

Basically throwing them something at those dead levels to help build the 'character' of the character, rather than dumping more combat effects upon them (which they already are the masters of). This is done in a very organic fashion with the input/cooperation of the player to help achieve the character concept desired.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Nyaricus said:
I likes Green Ronin's Races of Destiny series.
I believe you mean their Races of Renown series. I recently acquired Bow & Blade, and I must say, I am quite impressed with it. The next one I have interest in looking at is Aasimar & Tiefling.

Nyaricus

First Post
Frukathka said:
I believe you mean their Races of Renown series. I recently acquired Bow & Blade, and I must say, I am quite impressed with it. The next one I have interest in looking at is Aasimar & Tiefling.
blarg! Yeah, that's it, and damn you for getting that book - they are out of print, and that was one of them that my FLGS couldn't get in :(

However, I have Hammer and Helm (dwarves) and Wrath and Rage (orcs) and love them!

cheers,
--N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads