• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighters and Goblin Tactics

Craith

First Post
Since a readied action is an immediate reaction, it can't be the fighter's turn when it goes off, because he can't take immediate actions on his turn.

-Hyp.

But most of the time it will be the goblins turn when the action triggers, so he can't use goblin tactics. Even if the trigger is something else ("the wizard clears the path for a charge"..), since the fighter already used his immediate action, he can't take a second one this turn.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
... since the fighter already used his immediate action, he can't take a second one this turn.

True.

Huh. I hadn't really thought about it before, but Readying can be expensive for certain characters who use immediate actions a lot...

-Hyp.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
This is an important point, that I'll bet is lost on many people. If the Fighter misses the "marked" goblin, the goblin can shift away without getting whcked by the Fighter's Combat Challenge immediate interrupt attack.

Yes, I know I completely missed it (making the goblins get massacred by the fighter in KotS). It would have been much more fun if I'd realised that at the time :(

DracoSuave

First Post
If the readied action is an immediate action, then the fighter can't Combat Challenge attack the shifting goblin if he missed with the readied action, because he's already used his immediate action up. Ya only get 1.

bardon777

Explorer
The exception to this though is if the fighter charges. Charge immediately ends your turn. As such, if the charge misses, turns ends, goblin shifts away, fighter gets a swing.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Charge immediately ends your turn.

After you charge, you can't take any further actions this turn. Not quite the same thing.

The goblin's immediate reaction is "Other Combatants' Actions", which is part of "Actions On Your Turn" on p269, and occurs before "The End Of Your Turn".

Thus, while the goblin is taking his immediate reaction, it is still your turn.

The fighter charges, the goblin shifts, and then the fighter makes any saving throws, ends effects that were due to expire at the end of his turn, etc.

-Hyp.

DracoSuave

First Post
Right now my party's going to make a raid on some goblins stirring up trouble, so they're experiencing Goblin Tactics first hand.

The team, however, once they figured out that their shifting is reactive, they've made their positioning better to reflect it. Just an advancement on how they've fought Kobolds.

Soon they'll be hitting Hobgoblins, and they'll find things change when the bigboys come to play.

Remove ads