• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighting a dragon (3.0)

You need to make everyone immune to fear. Heroes's Feast works great for that.
Though I also recommend Heroes Feast to everyone, it won`t help against his Frightful Presence. The spell says, it protects against magical fear, and Frightful Presence is extraordinary.
I was also surprised reading this when I checked the spell. (My group also eats Heroes Feat every morning, and I just wanted to check all the effects for record... :) )

If it is possible, I suggest getting a frost weapon for the fighter, and on top of that adding a Greater Magic Weapon to get a good enhancement bonus. The extra 2d6 damage against the dragon are nice. :)
If you have cold based attacks at hand (Cone of Cold, as an example), consider using them and make your characters immune to it, so you don`t have to worry about back"fire". :)

Dispel Magic will certainly be useful. A Dragon can increase his armor class by up to 11 points (3.0) via Shield and Mage Armor, and this are only 1st level spells. (Unfortunately, dispelling them is no easier then higher level spells).

A nice trick against dragons can be using a Admantite Weapon (if you allow that the enhancement bonus also helps against damage reduction - not every group does so) and an Antimagic Field.

If, as a wizard, you consider shapechanging, you can cast Tensers Transformation after that. If Tensers Transformation is dismissable (don`t know it now), you might suffer no problems if you want to flee.

Mustrum Ridcully

Tiberius

Explorer
Pack some Disintegrates. The last thing you want is for the dragon to repeatedly enclose (${PARTY_SIZE} - 1) characters in a hemispherical Wall of Force and be able to focus its full attention on the unlucky soul left over.

-Tiberius

Tiberius

Explorer
Mustrum_Ridcully said:

A nice trick against dragons can be using a Admantite Weapon (if you allow that the enhancement bonus also helps against damage reduction - not every group does so) and an Antimagic Field.

If you're using it in conjunction with an antimagic field, it doesn't much matter whether the group uses such a rule or not. Damage reduction is (Su), and thus negated by the AMF.

-Tiberius

"Once more, please could you put a spoiler warning in the thread title? edit your original post to do that.

Please?"

Actually, yesterday I deleted all of the information our party has learned regarding the plot for the module.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Sinjin the Rogue said:

Actually, yesterday I deleted all of the information our party has learned regarding the plot for the module.

Apologies, I didn't notice that you'd edited out the key stuff.

Mea Culpa.

Grog

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:

Actually, going up against a powerful dragon in an AMF is pretty much suicide. I doubt even 18th-20th level characters could hit a dragon without all their magical bonuses to stats and attack bonuses. The dragon's AC isn't magical, and neither are its attacks. Ouch.

Grog

First Post
KaeYoss said:
The DM can always change that. Period. End of Paragraph.

The DM can drop a meteor on the players' heads too. I think we're all working under the assumption that the DM isn't just trying to kill the party off.

ZSutherland

First Post
Use subtle tactics. If underground, use disintegrate to drop stalactites on him. There's no such thing as Gravity Resistance. Start the fight with quickened slow if possible and then create a prismatic sphere to duck into. This protects you and requires a good deal of time on his part to get rid of.

About the Harm notion. While I would normally be all in favor of this tactic, check with your DM and make sure that there's no penalty for trying to conjure negative energy from the negative energy plane while on the positive energy plane. Taking the huge risks to get the cleric up to the front to touch attack several times to get past SR would blow if in the long run it didn't work.

Good luck.

Z

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Grog said:

The DM can drop a meteor on the players' heads too. I think we're all working under the assumption that the DM isn't just trying to kill the party off.

It isn't killing the party off to change a little fact the characters aren't supposed to know, anyway.

Unless they have extensive knowledge about dragons (and this one in particular, which seems to be a special one), the characters don't know that dragons have only Dex 10 and can't get Rombat Reflexes.

And unleasing a dragon upon a party is the same as wanting to kill them off (unless you're playing that dragon stupid, which you really shouldn't).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads