• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighting Demons

frog

Explorer
Ok everyone. I have some friends that need advice on how to defeat demons. Party has 6 characters of approximately 15th level:

Cleric (NPC specializing in healing)
Gnome Mage
Fire Mefit (I think)
Dwarf fighter type
a rogue and a monk (new players joining for this session, I don't know much about their players)

Demon CR 18

Very unpleasant gentlebeing.

They have no experience at all in fighting demons, so they need some good general suggestions on strategies and tactics.

EricNoah

Adventurer
In my experience, a lot of demons can cast darkness. Very annoying. Get a wand of daylight to counter this.

A lot of demons have spell resistance. There are a couple of spells in the Spell Compendium designed to help overcome SR. See if you can use those.

A lot of demons can teleport and plane shift. See if you can get a scroll of dimensional anchor or have a spellcaster prepare it.

You may need cold iron weapons to hurt demons, as well as "good" weapons.

Sonic is about the only energy type that they are not immune or resistant to.

Quartz

Hero
Do they have appropriate Knowledge skills? (The Planes) If not, let them learn the hard way. It's OK for a BBEG to escape.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Have the cleric convert to the worship of Orcus, kill all his party members and then say "Hey look! I'm on your side!" ;)

Enkhidu

Explorer
In our present campaign, we fight a lot of demons. This is what our paty has found:

Rule #1: Demons are just as vulnerable to sneak attacks as everyone else. Make sure that you've got enough light sources to counteract their darkness abilities in order to maximize the number of times your rogue can lay the sneak attack down.

Rule #2: Mages don't tend to fare well against demons. This is especially true for "boom" mages that rely overmuch on energy attacks. In a fight with demons, mages are more effective buffers than boomers.

Rule #3: Demons dish out tremendous amounts of damage, but generally take a lot of attacks to do so - DR, therefore, is your friend. Stoneskin is the protection of choice for fighting demons. Addendum: Demons will outdamage your front line fighter, so make sure your fighter had a friend. That way the fighter's partner can (maybe) take some of the heat, and more importantly can lay some smack of his own.

Rule #4: When fighting demons your cleric is not a fighter in priests clothing. She is instead a healer and buffer, and will almost assuredly be spending every round undoing the damage donw by the demon. Maybe your cleric will be able to stand at the front line in other fights, but demons are a different story.

In general, if a PC trades full attacks with a demon or nearly equal CR, that PC will lose. This is even true for our demon killing machine (a rogue/ranger/Foe Hunter that can toss double handfuls of dice on a moderately successful attack against demons). Our usual tactic is to remove their ability to flee (anchoring them), get them on the ground (by grappling them if necessary - all it takes is one opposed roll going our way), and surround them while our mystic theurge casts healing spell after healing spell through his spectral hand. Even with DR getting in the way, the nastiest of them only last a handful of rounds.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads