• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighting in Freefall

Dreaddisease

First Post
Not in anyway inspired by the LOTR movies, but more of my silly imagination deciding what aspect to give a flat world. I figured there would be an edge of the world (reference to The Gods must be Crazy) and how could I get my players in my campaign to jump off.

Setup: They go to the tower at the edge for some reason. I give them maybe a strip of land that keeps the water from falling off. With only about 100 to 200 feet this strip does not give a party much to go on. Especially when 2 huge and 1 gigantic red dragon emerge from the water to defend some treasure or whatever (reasons can be made up on the fly). So I want my players to do whatever they want using the land or sea or tower or magic to their advantage, but I want jumping off the edge to be an interesting option.

Because I must cover all options (as well as a setup to after they jump off) I need to know what a combat in freefall would consist off.

Reality: Base jumpers have a scary prospect of getting 'blown' into the rock wall. There are also some effects of falling that would make worn items subject to damage (or loss). What are other problems? What would be the chance of slamming back into the wall? What should be some saving throws for material or clothing? What kind of check to maintain control of shields. What kind of drag would a shield create in wind resistance? Propensity to 'tailspin'? etc...

What I plan: When and if the characters jump they will have an advantage because only the 2 smaller dragons follow. Unable to use their wing attacks because that would create drag stopping or limiting their fall speed in relation to the party (should give the party advantage to get off some ranged attacks. Also after about 10 - 12 rounds of falling the dragons may be concerned about going to far.

After that, the party will have to stop and find a way back or back to land. I figure feather fall, levitate and fly should be accessible enough to catch the party.

Finally: What kind of movement should be allowed horizontally and even vertically? How should the characters be able to move? Maybe half speed horizontally or maybe only 10 feet a round as move equivalent or their full speed? I am assuming that all of them will fall at the same speed unless shields are involved. The dragons will fall faster because of minimizing drag. Characters can opt to fall faster by minimizing drag also.

Dreaddisease

First Post
Interesting but not that informative. I just don't know. I guess I have to figure it out myself. I think I have some idea of what I want to do.

Remove ads