• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Fighting Style - Archery

maritimo80

First Post
The name of fighting style is archery !

I can use throwing weapons (hand axe), and gain +2 on attack rolls ?

A r c h e r y
You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with
ranged w eapons.

cpendlet

First Post
If you are throwing the hand axe, then yes you get the +2.

EDIT: Cernor has a good point. When I initially read the description for the fighting style I though it said "Ranged attack"and not attacking with a ranged weapon.

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
It's one of those questions that has been interpreted through Twitter.

1. Despite the name, there's no doubt that the fighting style benefits bows, crossbows, sings, darts, blowguns (!), and nets.

2. What is not clear is if a melee weapon with the "thrown" property counts as a ranged weapon when it is thrown. On the surface of it, the answer is no, and so speaketh the Crawford (18 Sept).

3. Mearls, the day before (17 Sept), had ruled differently, saying that daggers (and by extension weapons with the thrown property) are ranged weapons when they are being thrown.

4. If Mearls's interpretation is preferred, then in effect a ranged weapon is any weapon with which one makes a ranged attack. (The general definition on PHB 146 would in any case be trumped by the specifics of this case, and is not relevant).

5. Spells that require ranged attacks would, in any case, not benefit from this feat because they make ranged spell attacks, and not weapons.

So, in answer to your question:
Crawford says no (1, 2).
Mearls says yes (1, 3, 4), but risks people wanting to extend it further (5).

Cernor

Explorer
The distinction you have to make is the one between ranged attacks and ranged weapons. Although daggers, handaxes, javelins, light hammers, spears, and tridents can be thrown to make ranged attacks, they are still melee weapons-- so they don't get the benefit of the fighting style.

Morte

Explorer
The distinction you have to make is the one between ranged attacks and ranged weapons. Although daggers, handaxes, javelins, light hammers, spears, and tridents can be thrown to make ranged attacks, they are still melee weapons-- so they don't get the benefit of the fighting style.

Strange that the PHB calls javelins melee weapons. I don't think I've heard of anybody (willingly) using one for melee in history.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
The distinction to me, although I'm not sure how to expressly clarify it, seems to be between weapons that use Strength (even when attacking at range via Throwing) versus those that use Dexterity, more specifically those that use Ammunition. A bow, crossbow, sling, blowgun, or even a firearm or cannon (if they're present in the campaign) could use the fighting style, but not thrown weapons.

Having played a scout-ranger based on throwing axes back in 3.5 and really enjoyed it, I could see having a separate fighting style based on thrown weapons (which, stylistically, would likely be more than a flat bonus), but it would be something distinct from the Archery style.

Remove ads