• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighting Styles: Which option to choose?

LoneWolf23

First Post
I have to admit, I'm a big fan of the idea of Fighting Styles for D&D characters; Arcane and Divine magic-users might have astounding spells, but fighting-type characters have all sorts of techniques for kicking butt in fantastic ways. Fighting Styles also go a long way towards individualizing fighters: one 10th level fighter will specializing in fighting with two swords at the same time, twirling them dervish-style while dodging all attacks; another 10th level fighter will focus on using a big-@$$ mace with immense strength, soaking up damage instead of avoiding it.

So there's no question, I'm not only allowing Fighting Styles in my campaigns, I'm going to encourage my players to build up to them.

My dilemma consists of which kind of Fighting Style mechanic I should employ: One one hand, I have the "official" mechanics, first presented in Oriental Adventures, and expanded on in Dragon #303: purchase a number of feats and ranks in certain skills as listed under a Martial Arts style listing, and you get a benefit for free.

On the other hand, I have the more in-depth system introduced in Mongoose's Quintessential series, with Quintessential Fighter: Pick a school and a master (which already involves a bit more RPing), then start studying: Styles come in 5 levels of ability, and each level not only has an xp cost and prerequisites in Feats and Skill Ranks, but also a training time which has to be undertaken before you've passed. And each Style also has restrictions in equipment, and you can't rise any higher then your Wisdom score -10, due to the mental discipline needed.

Then, there's the much simpler approach of simply making various "Fighting Schools" into Prestige Classes, each with their own prerequisites; advancement in this class represents the style practitionner's perfecting of his craft, until he achieves total mastery.

And finally, there's the "All of the above" approach, where I try to take all three concepts and try to merge them as one.

So, any advice?

I think that it depends on the game. if it is "monk heavy" then you want to make "I studied under Master who ever" more important. I think that OA is good. I have never read QM so I really can't give an opinion there.

ced1106

Explorer
Another vote to add a roleplaying element. Have your players start at 1st level in the core classes, and have them meet NPCs with various fighting skills. If the player wants one, you or he can then develop and describe the organization that teaches the skill.

Might be fun to occasionally have the PCs watch and participate in duels of the schools in their different styles. :)

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^

Ruavel

First Post
it may be worth your while to try and get your hands on Path of the Sword [Fantasy Flight Games]...

one section of the book contains a number of 'Schools of Combat', each of which is based around a particular theme... each school consists of ten 'lessons', which cost gold, xp & time to learn (sounds similar to the QF idea)...

I can give you a few details if you're interested...

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
I would use all three, and put the fighting styles in the Mongoose books into actual schools and organizations within my campaign. Groups a PC had to get into and study under in order to learn from.

Dremen

First Post
I don't really like the OA or Dragon 303 styles. There are too many feat requirements, and the benifit is free. I feel it also removes a certain amount of the role playing aspect. Also there is such a long wait to get them.

I liked the Fighting Styles/Legandary froms in Quint Monk. There are less in the way of feat requirements, which allows lower level characters to get them. Also they have a time and XP cost. As a player I like the idea because since I have to pay for something, that it means more. As a DM it is a valuble tool for role playing, and it helps keep marialy minded characters more in line XP wise with item creating spell casters. I also think this way adds much in the way of flavor.

As a martial artist (studying Ba Qua, former styles: Wing Chun, Tatsu Do Karate, Shaolin Kung fu Northern/Southern, Grecko Roman Wrestling) If find that the Legandary forms from QM much more in line with certain special forms/styles more in line with real life. I could tell from reading the book that the author was himself a martial artist with experience, before reading this on the last page. OA on the other hand I felt was not written by a martial artist or even someone who has more than a few months experience. Not that it is a bad book. Its one of my favorite, and the art is great.

I think that the OA styles give too much as a free benifit, and from browsing dragon 303 (I did not read completely) it seemed like there was too little benifit. Maybe I'm wrong about dragon though.

-D

Psion

Adventurer
I am really not fond of the OA fighting styles and am definitely not fond of the Quint Fighter fighting styles.

But think about it. Secret techniques available to a select few as a result of special training. What does that sound like? That's right, this sort of thing was what prestige classes were made for. To a lesser extent, we are talking feats.

I recommend getting Second World Simulations' Masters of Arms. It contains a flurry of prestige classes detailing unique fighting styles. Further, the classes let you choose from an ability list for most levels of the classes, giving you a lot of leeway in customizing your classes. Further, if you are ambitious, it has a manuever design system that lets you design your own balanced maneuvers for your own classes.

If you like feat chains as a primary or alternate fighting style, I recommend you pick up a copy of Beyond Monks by chainmail Bikini games, which has IMO the best (most interesting yet balanced) collection of fighting style type feats that there is. It also has some other stuff like a martial artist, prestige classes, support for a fighting style system essentially identical to OAs, and variants for running more fluid combats. But I think the feats are the real standout of the product. It is available now as a PDF (see www.rpgnow.com ), but should be out next year in dead tree edition.

LoneWolf23

First Post
Been meaning to post again sooner, but thanks for all the responses.

Thus far, responses seem to be positive regarding the idea of using the Quintessential Mechanics for Martial Arts Styles over the OA mechanics. And then there are two strong votes for the Prestige Classes.

So I think I'll use both: First students must climb the ranks of the Martial Arts style, and then, once they've achieved mastery of the basic style, they can acquire first level in the Prestige Class "Master of (name the school)", having already met the prequisites.

Crothian

First Post
If you want options like this for a Monk, I cannot stress getting Quint Monk enough. It is filled with all sort s of great options like this, be it prestige lcasses, feats, or fighting stlyes.

Path of the Swords also has a great 10 teir fighting styles, very good as well.

Remove ads