• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Fighting Traditions Names - should’ve been the three words in italics below them

gamemasterbob

Explorer
The names for Fighting Traditions are not descriptive and basically confusing. I think the three word description beneath every tradition name should’ve been the name of the tradition.
For instance
‘Adamant Mountain Maneuvers” should have been “Hardiness-Might-Power”. I just don’t truly get why they chose these names. It seems they went with the “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon”-ish fighting master metaphysical thing. I believe very strongly it doesn’t work.
I know I’m going to get slammed for posting this or be told I missed something but, it is in my strongest belief, it would’ve been so much better for the game to use a descriptive title to make it easier to find and choose your moves. Like the example above. And here’s another
‘Mirror’s Glint Maneuvers” should have been “Flowing-Insightful-Reactive”. At least the name would’ve meant something. Once again I’m not trying to be disrespectful regarding all the work that went into this I’m just saying if I was on the design crew I would’ve been falling on the ground begging them not to do this and instead use the three words that they were using as the subtitles - as the title.

Peace.

Last edited:

Xaielao

Explorer
I somewhat agree, the names don't inform on the types of maneuvers in each group quite as well as perhaps the writers hoped. That said, we're all still new to the game, I think down the road players will have that stuff down so when players make a new character and see the maneuver groups they have access to, they'll know the names by heart.

gamemasterbob

Explorer
My entire comment is to attempt to make this very complex tome easier to navigate by suggesting the authors use category titles that are related to the context. It’s nothing to do with being against any kind of kung fu stuff because actually I like that. It’s simply let’s keep it simple and logical. This was not a place to put a name that was just flavorful.There are so many maneuvers we need to put them in categories that make sense and not just sound cool. That’s my point.
As always my comments are to build things not to offend anyone or be disrespectful. I am a creative and I am a designer. I’m not Mr. know-it-all but in this case I’m standing my ground. The combat maneuver tradition names don’t work. Give us a way to navigate these MANY maneuvers thats logical and not just colorful. I will end by saying you guys are super creative and I bet you can pull off both logical and fun.
Peace.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I somewhat agree, the names don't inform on the types of maneuvers in each group quite as well as perhaps the writers hoped. That said, we're all still new to the game, I think down the road players will have that stuff down so when players make a new character and see the maneuver groups they have access to, they'll know the names by heart.
Exactly. Names are names. You come to associate them with things through familiarity. “Drizzt” is just a funny noise until you know who he is.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
My entire comment is to attempt to make this very complex tome easier to navigate by suggesting the authors use category titles that are related to the context. It’s nothing to do with being against any kind of kung fu stuff because actually I like that. It’s simply let’s keep it simple and logical. This was not a place to put a name that was just flavorful.There are so many maneuvers we need to put them in categories that make sense and not just sound cool. That’s my point.
As always my comments are to build things not to offend anyone or be disrespectful. I am a creative and I am a designer. I’m not Mr. know-it-all but in this case I’m standing my ground. The combat maneuver tradition names don’t work. Give us a way to navigate these MANY maneuvers thats logical and not just colorful. I will end by saying you guys are super creative and I bet you can pull off both logical and fun.
Peace.
I’m afraid we disagree on this one. The names are staying. :)

Remove ads