• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Figments of my Imagination

Jeremy

Explorer
The Silent Image, Minor Image, Major Image, Programmed Image, Permanent Image spell tree is very difficult to use properly in 3.5 and 3.0 D&D. The section on illusion magic in the magic chapter is very specific in what they can and cannot do any longer.

Other illusion spells have numerous obvious uses, but what are some good uses for this tree of spells?

Imaginary walls and cliffs, an ewok making off with a speeder, the Duke running around in a towel, distractions and misinformation galore.. But once init is rolled, what are you gonna do?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Jeremy said:
Other illusion spells have numerous obvious uses, but what are some good uses for this tree of spells?

Particularly at low levels, I'm very fond of using Silent Image to create a fog bank around the party for an ranged attack duel before melee is joined; the enemy archers can't see the PCs, but the PCs (standing in the middle of it and informed by the wizard it's an illusion) have a good chance of making their saves and thus being able to see clearly.

-Hyp.

Jeremy

Explorer
Definately. :) Fog, Blackness, and other visual impediments are great, especially if your party passes the save and they are willing to engage at range with weapons and spells and such.

... bump.

Sejs

First Post
Along with the fog and darkness - walls. No alley here! Move along. Covering doors and so on.

In combat, make things that your opponent would in no way WANT to interact with. Like say an illusion of a field of spinning, flashing blades... lots of 'em, that if they go thru will obviously chop 'em to shreds. Things like that.

Darklone

Right. Avoid illusions with which people tend to interact. Stand next to a wall and make an illusion of the same wall a few feet into the room. Use illusions as distractions while you sneak around someone.

Jeremy

Explorer
Distractions I got. Out of combat I have lots of options. But once the init die is rolled all those options seem to disappear. Any smart uses of illusions that you can use in a combat scenario?

Battlefield control looks like a good one, visibility hindrances are another, any other ideas?

How about when dealing with constructs and undead that have no intelligence and basically accept what they see at face value?

Nail

First Post
Walls.

Constructs go around walls, if possible. If they are completely blocked, they'd try to go through them....so make sure there's space to go around them, somewhere.

Last night my players ran into the "bank of fog" illusion. It worked well. However, the archer claimed that once his companions told him it was an illusion, he should get a Will save...even though he had not yet "interacted with the illsuion".

Was he right?

Remove ads