• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Figuring CR for Goblins with class levels.

Bryan898

First Post
I'm having a problem coming up with the CR for a goblin with advanced class levels. Namely: Rog1/Ftr5, Rog2/Ftr6, Rog3/Ftr7, Rog4/Ftr8, Rog4/Ftr2, Rog5/Fr4, Rog7/Ftr5.

Also, if you could explain how exactly you come up with the CR for a goblin. I know adding associated class levels adds +1 CR per level, and nonassociated adds +1/2 CR per level. I figured Rogue was an associated class, and Fighter a nonassociated. However, the Goblin as a standard race starts at 1/3 CR. Adding this up for a Rog1/Ftr5 gives me: 1/3 base +1 Rogue +2 1/2 Fighter= 3 5/6, or rounded up to 4. Is this correct?

Corlon

First Post
Just don't count the goblin as anything, it's just as good as any base race, so just treat it as a base race rather than a monster. I belive they get its stats by applying the warrior class to it.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Bryan898 said:
I'm having a problem coming up with the CR for a goblin with advanced class levels. Namely: Rog1/Ftr5, Rog2/Ftr6, Rog3/Ftr7, Rog4/Ftr8, Rog4/Ftr2, Rog5/Fr4, Rog7/Ftr5.

Also, if you could explain how exactly you come up with the CR for a goblin. I know adding associated class levels adds +1 CR per level, and nonassociated adds +1/2 CR per level. I figured Rogue was an associated class, and Fighter a nonassociated. However, the Goblin as a standard race starts at 1/3 CR. Adding this up for a Rog1/Ftr5 gives me: 1/3 base +1 Rogue +2 1/2 Fighter= 3 5/6, or rounded up to 4. Is this correct?
The associated vs. non-associated is only up to the creature's racial HD. That doesn't apply for goblins, of course, so just add up the class levels. The goblins base CR does not apply, either because the HD is replaced by the classes. Because you gave the goblin PC classes in all cases, the CR is simply the total of the classes. If you gave the goblin NPC classes, you would subtract 2 from the total for the CR.

Bryan898

First Post
The associated vs. non-associated is only up to the creature's racial HD. That doesn't apply for goblins, of course, so just add up the class levels. The goblins base CR does not apply, either because the HD is replaced by the classes. Because you gave the goblin PC classes in all cases, the CR is simply the total of the classes. If you gave the goblin NPC classes, you would subtract 2 from the total for the CR.

Duh... I remember that now. Thanks for the refresher =D

Yair

Community Supporter
Hmmm.... I have to disagree. While it is basically like piling up class levels, the goblin race is slightly weaker than other races. If you're going for a fighter-oriented character, I would knock -1 from its CR. You can see WotC did the same: the warrior 1 is not CR 1/2 but rather 1/3, one step worse than an elf warrior 1 for example. Goblins are very good at being rouges, and probably on part with the PC races as other classes, so I wouldn't change their CR if they are focused on staying out of melee.
YMMV

S'mon

Legend
Bryan898 said:

Your goblin Rog 1/Ftr 5 actually will be roughly CR 4, so good work. :cool:
OTOH per the RAW it's just 1+5 = CR 6. Obviously it's not _really_ CR 6 in terms of threat to the PCs, though.

Remove ads