• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Figuring out BAB for classed monsters

Wellby

First Post
I'm missing a rule somewhere and need help.

A 5th level Cleric Frost Giant has 3 attacks in a full round with his axe. BAB for a frost giant is +10, so they normally get two attacks per round. 5 levels of cleric is BAB +3.

How is it that the Cleric Frost Giant gets three attacks? Isn't his BAB now +13?

thanks!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I'm missing a rule somewhere and need help.

A 5th level Cleric Frost Giant has 3 attacks in a full round with his axe. BAB for a frost giant is +10, so they normally get two attacks per round. 5 levels of cleric is BAB +3.

How is it that the Cleric Frost Giant gets three attacks? Isn't his BAB now +13?

thanks!

You get one attack for each +5 BAB or part thereof.

+5 is one attack.
+6/+1 is two attacks
+11/+6/+1 is three attacks
+13/+8/+3 is three attacks

Nezkrul

First Post
3 levels of cleric is +2 bab, not +3, sounds like an error, but either way his bab would be at least +11, granting him 3 axe swings with a full attack

Wellby

First Post
Of course...I was seeing +10/+5 for the normal frost giant and seeing that as the 'beginning' of the two attacks per round level. But of course, it's at the end of that, and one more BAB, and that Frost Giant would have 3 attacks...

Staring at me in the face. thanks!

(though some of the responses in this thread make it clear a lot of people screw this up!)

nijineko

Explorer
hmmm, addressing the rule in general, i believe that monstrous hit dice factor into BAB, based on the type of creature, after which class based BAB is added in. iirc, the rule is given in the monster manuals.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads