• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Fill-in the blanks

zoroaster100

First Post
For Wizards I'd like to see a School of Necromancy, a School of Transmutation, a School of Abjuration and a School of Enchantment.

For Fighters I'd like to see an Archer.

For Druids I'd like to see a Circle of the White Hart (or other cool animal theme) for druids that have an animal companion instead of better spells or better shapechanging.

For Cleric I'd like to see a few more dieties added, but I'd rather they be very careful and keep these to a minimum. I think they did a great job condensing these divine spheres of influence into a handful of really iconic ones and I'd rather they have only a few more, but make sure each is very well thought out and balanced against the others, than to see a ton of crappy or too-good ones in a rush to fill out every possible theme.

Bluenose

Adventurer
I'd add the Avenger as a Paladin subtype; the "Grey Knight".

A Ranger sub-type, rather than Paladin. Along with an Assassin that uses magic.

Look at what they've done with the Paladin. A Good version, an Evil version (Blackguard), and a Nature version (Warden). They're the people who represent that particular set of beliefs in open battle. So, add three sub-classes that represent that same sort of ethos by subterfuge. The Avenger is the secret agent of good churches, the Ranger of Nature, and the (magical) Assassin from an evil church.

gyor

Legend
Actually Mike Mearls has said that the Warden is being moved to Ranger which he believes can simulate the Warden's polymorphing and cc abilities better.

So you'll have to replace it with something.

If the sorceror gets eaten by the wizard, then perhaps Favoured Soul? Maybe you could get a Pegasi mount instead of your own wings and summon monster spells as domain spells.

gyor

Legend
I've been trying to think of good subclasses for Paladin and its surprisingly hard the way they've done it. Most Paladin Paragon paths would follow a code like the Cavalier. The Cavalier subclass is so big that it blocks out others other simular ones.

I have also thought about basing them around alignment, but the Paladin probably won't keep alignment restrictions.

I concidered Avenger, but the Avenger wears no armour so that presents challenges.

Maybe he'll keep the Green Knight archtype and call it something different then Warden.

I do think that one that might work is switching Janissary from swordmage to Paladin, maybe a Paladin the worships Primordials as Gods and focuses on Elemental magic.

The Liberator would still be a good one.

Another option would be to break the Blackguard and Cavalier into smaller bite sized chunks, going back to more 4e influence and base subclasses around specific virtues and vices. This I believe would be the best route, but not the only possible successful one.

Sadrik

First Post
I think this is really flawed way of looking at this. I know it does not readily appear so and seems quite benign, but it really strips creativity from the players and asks the designers to hard code fluff. I want fluff so removed from the classes its not even funny. Background and class have been intertwined throughout the game but then 5e comes along and the designers say we have these little templates that you can add to your character that are called backgrounds. I was like wow this is going to be a great game. But slowly backgrounds and assumptions are making their way back into "sub-classes". This is bad wrong fun for everyone (unless you particularly like what they have provided).

One other aspect is the concept of multi-classing. What about sub-classes and multi-classing. I mean a gladiator/charlatan? Really? Is that how they want to do it? get the background out of the classes and get those into the background where they belong.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Actually Mike Mearls has said that the Warden is being moved to Ranger which he believes can simulate the Warden's polymorphing and cc abilities better.

Just to be clear, he didn't say that the Warden is being moved, only that he feels that it probably should be.

Ichneumon

First Post
I concidered Avenger, but the Avenger wears no armour so that presents challenges.

Would a 5e Avenger really have to wear no armor just because the 4e version didn't? If it becomes a paladin subclass, I doubt that making it armored will be a problem. Capturing the essence of a grim heretic punisher seems more important.

Remove ads