• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Final Encounter rundown

NewJeffCT

First Post
OK, I got a lot of good input from folks here in the 4E forum...

I ended up sticking with the Baba Yaga solo from the DDI instead of Elite, though I did switch a couple of powers around. (This was not Baba Yaga, so no hut, this was the Fey Queen that ends Kingmaker)

I added in the drow exalted consort, zealot & shadowblade, though I changed them from drow to "regular" fey creatures instead of drow. The zealot ended up being pretty useless the whole fight as the party fighter would use his marking power to also immobilize him if he hit. Since the zealot only had one encounter ranged power that he used to start the fight, he was basically stuck.
However, the other two did end up causing some trouble.

The broomstick spouted out minions with each hit - Corrupted Mongers, Lechers and one other type.

The setting was a ziggarut type location within a fey setting. At the top of each round, the season would change. Each round, the Fey Queen's resistance would change to a seasonal resistance for that season, and she'd have a bonus to defense against Ranged, Melee, Close, etc attacks depending on the season as well. (Autumn was -2 to ranged attacks due to the swirling leaves, etc).

The combat was tough - the Vile Transmutation (VT) power really knocked some of the PCs for a loop, as it turned them into toads or pigs (the PC wizard cast Mass Fly at the start of combat - so, we even had pigs flying for the finale...)

However, after her third VT, she has basically expended all of her Daily/Recharge powers other than at-wills. She was bloodied and the PCs were all at, or near, full except for one. (VT recharges when she uses an action point.) At that point, it was just a matter of wearing her down and finishing her off since all her allies were dead.

I guess one of the frustrating things about 4E to me was it was just too easy for mid to high level PCs to heal themselves beyond just Second Wind. Just about all of them beyond the Leader had at least one or two powers that allowed them to do something *and* spend a healing surge or get some sort of Regeneration, Temp Hit Points and/or Damage Reduction. I had been kicking the snot out of them for 7-8 rounds and I looked up after she was bloodied and all the PCs were at full save one.

Good stuff overall, though. Thanks for all the help.

Hi there NewJeffCT! :)

Interesting report.

Can I ask what were the PC Levels/Group Size and what was the overall level of the Encounter/Component monsters?

NewJeffCT

First Post
Hi there NewJeffCT! :)

Interesting report.

Can I ask what were the PC Levels/Group Size and what was the overall level of the Encounter/Component monsters?

Well, I cut the description short.

However, it was six PCs that were level 24 and it was the rushed conclusion to a 4E campaign... we're relocating because my lovely wife got a good new job and her company is paying for the re-lo. Plus, our house sold the day before it went on the market, so we really had to rush.

The final encounter was a level 28 encounter. The modified Baba Yaga was a level 27 solo, plus the minions and 3 allies totaled up to a level 28. I probably should have given her another ally or three and made it a level 29 or 30 encounter to give them more of a challenge. Or else bumped up Baba Yaga's hut to a higher level and added another ally

Last edited:

Thanks very much for the reply NewJeffCT! :)

By my calculations a Level 28 Encounter is a typical encounter for a Level 24 party.

What I mean by that specifically is that between Levels 1-5 a typical encounter is equal to party level. However, as you get higher up, the difference changes by 18.3% per level.

Thus by Level 24 a PC party is equal to 28th level. Which is what the default should be for average encounters.

Normally an encounter +4 is a 50/50 TPK. Thus for a Level 24 party a Level 32 encounter would be a 50/50 TPK.

Campaign End Boss ~ Encounter +5
Adventure End Boss ~ +4
Act End Boss ~ +3
Important NPC/Henchman ~ +2
Typical ~ +0
Mooks ~ -2

Levels 1-5 = +0 EL modifier
Levels 6-11 = +1
Levels 12-17 = +2
Levels 18-23 = +3
Levels 24-29 = +4
Level 30 = +5

Thus for Level 24 PCs:

Mooks = L26 Encounter
Typical = L28
Important NPC/Henchman = L30
Act Boss = L31
Adventure Boss = L32
Campaign Ender = L33

I should also note that I'd advise against using stat-blocks more than 3 levels higher than the PCs level (unless unavoidable), especially soldiers.

If you are using 6 PCs then you need to up the encounter level appropriately. The above is designed for 5 PCs.

NewJeffCT

First Post
wow - so, that last encounter should have been level 33 to challenge them?

I wish I had known your formula ahead of time - I had swapped out a power of Baba Yaga with another evil controller that did a close burst 15 when first bloodied that would leave enemies stunned if it hit. However, with no allies left by the time she was bloodied, the evil fey queen had nobody left to help her take advantage of the stunned PCs.

If I had had 5 more levels of bad guys, I could have thrown in an elite brute or something to help out the fey queen (i.e., move her out of danger if she was flanked)

Hey NewJeffCT! :)

NewJeffCT said:
wow - so, that last encounter should have been level 33 to challenge them?

If the situation was "THIS IS IT" for the campaign - I'd say yes. Give them a finale they have to really sweat for.

Also remember that with SIX PCs you can increase the Encounter Level even further. :eek:

I wish I had known your formula ahead of time - I had swapped out a power of Baba Yaga with another evil controller that did a close burst 15 when first bloodied that would leave enemies stunned if it hit. However, with no allies left by the time she was bloodied, the evil fey queen had nobody left to help her take advantage of the stunned PCs.

You should check out my version of Asmodeus (I also have Orcus and Kronos on my website, as well as the Idol of Kali) for ideas on how to design solo monsters.

If I had had 5 more levels of bad guys, I could have thrown in an elite brute or something to help out the fey queen (i.e., move her out of danger if she was flanked)

I'd estimate you could have went with an EXP budget of up to 234,999. In effect FOUR Baba Yaga's...plus change.

Personally I would have made Baba Yaga a Level 27 Supersolo (x2 hp, +50% DMG), that makes her the equivalent of a L32 solo: 135,000

Level 27 Super-solo = 135,000 XP...Baba Yaga
Level 26 Solo = 45,000 XP...Baba Yaga's Hut...?
Level 25 Elites x2 = 28,000 XP
Level 24 Standard x4 = 24,200 XP
Level 23 Minion Generator(s) (conjured by Baba Yaga and thus EXP free, can be shut off by the PCs)

The above is an extreme case Encounter Level 34 meat grinder.

NewJeffCT

First Post
thanks - I guess I should have just melded the warm-up encounter and the finale into one encounter then. (I had a chaos hydra as a level 24 solo, plus Leflanth & Yargo, two level 23 elites)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads