• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Final Fantasy and D&D

E

Elderbrain

In a lot of the older Final Fantasy games (haven't played recent ones, so don't know), monsters from D&D make an appearance. For example, the Mind Flayer, the Piscodemon, and the Sahuagin, as well as "generic" ones such as Tiamat and Bahamut, chromatic dragons, and others. With regards to the (presumably) copyrighted ones like the Mind Flayer, is this legal? Could TSR/WOTC have sued? Have there been any crossovers in the other direction (FF monsters appearing in D&D)? The Malboro plant creature with its Bad Breath attack would be a mean one to sic on PCs!

Last edited:

I believe that legal action was taken, at some point, leading to a number of changes during localization. For example, the elemental Fiend of Fire in Final Fantasy I was known as Marilith in the Japanese release and Kary in the US release.

Or perhaps the changes were made to avoid the need for legal action? In any case, the intent of the first game was very much to be as accurate to D&D as possible, right down to the pseudo-Vancian spell slots. Quite a bit of traditional D&D was modified from existing sources, though, so things like Bahamut and Tiamat are open season for any game that wants to use them.

Last edited:

E

Elderbrain

Hmm. I've been playing the versions released for the PS one, and they use the D&D names (Marilith is called Marilith, not Kary) So in between the original releases (on Nintendo/Super Nintendo), they must have reached some sort of agreement (I played FF 1 on Nintendo, but my puny brain can't recall whether Marilith was called Kary, but I'll take your word on it.)

Sigbjorn_86

First Post
The naming issues were matters of translation, not legality. Simply put, up through the PS1 era, translation was supbar and changed many names for no reason. Later remakes restored the original names to be truer to the source.

Besides, given D&D's own history, I don't think they would be worried about anyone 'stealing' monsters.

E

Elderbrain

I know that the Nintendo versions changed the name of the Holy spell to "White", presumably out of fear of offending some American parent who saw his kid cast a "Holy" spell in the game. Go figure... with regards to Bahamut, he is traditionally a good guy in FF. (However, in some games he must obey whoever summons him, good or bad, and in the movie Final Fantasy: Advent Children he is summoned by a villain and Cloud has to fight him.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads