Final Fantasy Tactics Dungeons and Dragons Conversion

Did you download the Final Fantasy Tactics PDF? If so, how would you rate it?

• 1, Useless to me, and it contains horrible content.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • 2, Useless to me, but it contains some useful content.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3, Useless to me, but it contains quite a bit of useful content.

• 4, I could use some of the ideas in the document, but they seem to be disorganized, badly created, o

• 5, I could use some of the ideas, and the document contains average quality content.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • 6, I could use some of the ideas, and the document is clearly well written with only some discrepanc

• 7, The content is very valid and useful to me, but I find the document somewhat lacking.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • 8, The content is very valid and useful to me, and it is generally orderly and easy to use.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • 9, The content is very valid and useful to me, and I the document contains near-perfect content.

• I was waiting for someone to create exactly this file.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Question: Previously, members of my mailing list recieved sporatic updates that measured from one word to an entire redo every 1d4 days. Now that things are starting to stabalize, how often would you like updated versions? I think once every two weeks is the fastest I can promise... there are always those weeks where nothing gets done.

I am starting to lean towards editing Geomancy and Math skills... I basically ad-hoc'd those systems and Talk skills together at the last minute so I could say I finished them. Katana skills were also a last minute ordeal...

Now for the weapons list... here is the format I was thinking of using...

Firstly...

1) A description of every "type" of weapon (Dagger, Knight Sword, Stick, Rod, Gun, Axe, etc.) in Final Fantasy Tactics and their stats.

Secondly...

2) A list of specific magical items (Sleep Sword, Blood Sword, Nagra Rock) and set up stats for each type of weapon.

The only question is which items fall under 1 and which items fall under 2... a Mithral sword would probably fall under 2... but the Iron Sword, Broad Sword, and Long Sword are probably going to end up falling under item 1, all grouped together under one type of weapon... probably the longsword.

Last edited:

Looks like a real good start, Creamsteak, but I had to go with option #4 (mostly because of perceived balancing issues).

I'm also not sure that I liked how the Squire class was implemented... it didn't really capture what the Squire class from FFT was all about.

If _I_ were to do this (yeah, yeah... how many times are you going to hear THAT, right?) I'd make the Squire and Chemist classes THE ONLY character classes, and make everything else a PrC which builds on those two classes (as well as other PrCs for the advanced classes).

I'm not sure if you have the Prima FFT Strategy Guide, but it tells you what the required prerequisite class levels are for each class. As an example, Squire and Chemist are classes you can take right off the bat. Knight, Archer, Priest, and Wizard need certain prerequisites met before you can join them. Specifically, you need two levels of Squire to become either a Knight or Archer, and you need two levels of Chemist to become either a Priest or Wizard. Then there are the "Combination Classes" like Samurai (which requires three levels of Knight, four levels of Monk, and two levels of Lancer).

I'm sure you probably know all of this already, but if you step back and look at the structure of how you can join classes in FFT, it sure looks an awful lot like the D&D3E prestige class paradigm, doesn't it?

If you make the other classes prestige classes, it would allow you to make the Squire a slightly weaker version (combat-wise) of the Knight with its own skills/feats/level abilities (and without the ability to wear heavy armor) RATHER than the jack-of-all-trades that you make him out to be. I feel that's more in keeping with the spirit of FFT.

Just my 2 cents... overall, I do like where you're heading with this. Keep it up!

Regards,
Corporate Dog

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
Looks like you may have to email me in order to download the file... sorry, I can't seem to get a link that stays the same... after an hour it resets or something... Anyway, emailing me gets you added to the mailing list anyway.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
I voted a 7.

The classes in FFT have always intrigued me. I've always wanted to utilize some of the classes, such as the Lancer, in my campaign, and some of them - such as the Time Mage - could be helpful in showing how classes IMC work that are similar to the classes.

The information you had, creamsteak, was very useful. However, it was poorly organized - especially all the abilities at the back. Your explanations of the classes could have used a little more detail (though I imagine you are going for mechanics, not flavor, at the moment, so I ignored that much - besides, I want this for my campaign, not FFT). The weapons, too, could have used more work.

I agree with Corporate Dog - you should have made most of the classes PrC's, and left the Squire and Archer as standard classes.

All in all, I like it. But this is just scratching the surface of what FFT - and any FF - is about. I look forward to seeing your future work in this area.

I'd say you done a good job over all, and i think the only problems are the one preveiuosly mentioned. I really think that a system of prestige class would not only make more sense but it would definiatly better simulate the feal of the game.

The equiptment would should be a little more detailed.

I'd really like to see some type of campaign info.

Format wise, the class abilities would be better up with the classes themselves. Also and this one isn't really important, but it would be cool to see some type of art in there, and maybe some boarders around the pages. These things are purly cosmetic though and the book will be just as good with out them, It just won't look cool.

Last edited:

Remove ads