• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children:How to?

JackGiantkiller

First Post
I need some input, gentles. If you would be so kind...How would you recommend one simulate the world and feel of Final Fantasy VII with a D20 or OGL product or combination of the above?

It needs tech, and magic, and archetypes, and superheroic levels of ability...but it needs to work more like D&D, from the look of the movie and the original game...

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Mutants & Masterminds 2.0. Power Level set at 10 for the game, but arguably approaching 15 or even 20 for the much more over the top stunts of the movie.

This would definitely be the simplest solution.

At the cost of a complexity increase and the loss of d20/OGL status, you could use HERO and get even more flexibility and, better yet, an ATB Wait initiative system - just like in Final Fantasy! On the flip side, tactical combat isn't appropriate for simulating the FF experience.

For something a bit closer to d20 core, you could go with the following combination:

Use the d20 Modern class structure gestalted (Unearthed Arcana) with psion, psychic warrior or wilder (Expanded Psionics Handbook). Remove massive damage saves. Take one of the homebrew limit break systems out there. Use human as the only race, or allow homebrew FF appropriate races.

Materia is about impossible to model in anything close to core d20. If FF7 were my FF of choice, I'd probably have more concrete ideas how to implement it; these are more 'general Final Fantasy feel' ideas.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
bolen said:
How about using Iron Heroes? The token concept seems ideal for this (I think FF was an inspiration for it)

Gameplay-wise, I can see this to an extent, but it would practically demand a complete reworking of the classes since the setting and vibe are so different.

Incorporating the token system as a limit break analogue, or drawing inspiration from it for a homebrew limit system, would be a great idea.

Psion

Adventurer
When I ran my Second World game, I modeled my Second World Japan after the world of FFVII. For tech rules, I used the technomagic rules of Arsenal and Factory (don't know what the availability of those are like these days.)

The Moogle's recommendations for characters seem decent... but I would have to agree the materia is a bit out there. If you really wanted to faithfully model it, you'd almost have to create your own subsystem. At best, you could adapt a system like Arcana Evolved or something else close to the core, but have the materia determine your prepared spells.

Verec

First Post
How to deal with Materia is interesting. They have several effects, all of which are chalenging to model. They 'level up', and gain experiance like a character. When they max their 'level' they spawn a new materia. They decrease your health but increase magical skill and power. And they can create some VERY odd effects. Mime and Enemy skill materia come to mind.
But I think it can be done.
Just brainstorming, but if we had equiped materia gain experiance at 1/2 standard rate like a cohort, that would be reasonable, although not exact. How they gain new spells might be interesting, but obviously should be level dependent. -1 hp for each materia that you have equiped, but +1 to save DCs for ever two and a bonus spell/day for every group of five. Thats not too bad as a begining.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
As crazy as it sounds, you could create an alternate levelling chart for Materia and have the PC decide if he wants to spend earned XP to increase its power...

Alternately, you could just take X percent of player-earned XP and attribute it to earned XP for the Materia.

Slotted items are weapon-dependent; linked slots are up to the DM, but say there's an X% chance for linked slots upon discovery/purchase:
Plain Weapons/Armor get one slot.
Masterwork items get two.
Each magical plus of an item adds one slot.
Only unique/DM-created items have 8 slots.

Materia give players spell abilities. If you're using the XPH, you already have a Mana-driven "spell" engine that will most likely work as is. If you're using a superhero-type system, the Materia give the heroes whatever ability suits the Materia.

Materia give access to free feats, energy resistances, spell-like boosts, and unusual abilities any time the slotted item is worn/carried.

Stars (1-5) equate to the caster level of the Materia. These levels stack with caster level of the PC. Magic/Psonics are no longer limited by class or type; any class can use any spell, period.

1 star = +1 CL; 2 stars = +3, 3 stars = +5, 4 stars = +7, 5 stars = +9 (If you're using Psionics as your base, this follows their odd-numbered progression nicely).

Very important to note: Final Fantasy magic is all combat-related. "Useful" spells just don't exist. ;)

JackGiantkiller

First Post
How necessary to the basic feel do you think faithfully simulating materia is? I'm not looking for a pure sim of the FF world, only something that feels like it in play. Cinematic, lots of neat powers, mixed tech and magic.

Remove ads