• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children:How to?

BESM (either Tri-Stat or d20) would be feasible, but Tri-Stat is too open to abuse and d20 is surprisingly limited (unless the GM hands out a lot more starting "Attribute Points" than usual).

I've said it once, and said it again: Mutants & Masterminds 2nd edition. It can handle the FF7 universe as well as it can handle various comic books universes.

If you have the chance, I would check out Magic of the Incarnum. I think that the various types of Incarnum 'equipment' there really fit the style of FF7's Materia, and would let every D&D class get a benefit instead of just giving them the ability to cast Fire 1, 2, etc... If you like this system, I would turn each Incarnum ability itself into a physical item (complete with GP price), although still limit each class to a certain number of Essentia per day, possibly using a Gestalt option where everyone is required to take an incarnate class as their secondary class. In exchange, I would probably take out all conventional magical items, save maybe armor and weapons, and maybe have some sort of penalty (Con penalty, perhaps?) for carrying too many 'materia' on you to keep everything balnaced (although the amount of Essentia automatically balancing things).

Just a thought as I was reading MotI, I have yet to check out the idea myself.

Urizen

First Post
You might be able to use the True20 ruleset to accomplish this as well. True20 is very similar to Mutants and Masterminds.

check the setting forums at www.true20.com. There might be some dicsussion on it already.

I think feat chains might be a way to handle materia. In True20 you get a feat every level so you could theoretically build up your powers.

You could also use heroic paths to chart specific types of Adepts, so players know ahead of time which powers and feats they need to achieve the type of character they want.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Urizen said:
You might be able to use the True20 ruleset to accomplish this as well. True20 is very similar to Mutants and Masterminds.

check the setting forums at www.true20.com. There might be some dicsussion on it already.

I think feat chains might be a way to handle materia. In True20 you get a feat every level so you could theoretically build up your powers.

You could also use heroic paths to chart specific types of Adepts, so players know ahead of time which powers and feats they need to achieve the type of character they want.

I'm a big fan of both systems, but I have to say, it seems to me True20 is very similar to Mutants & Masterminds... except in all the things that make M&M do Final Fantasy well. :\

Maybe it's because I'm still seeing True20 as tied to Blue Rose or as I've seen it used (for low-powered, though not necessarily grim and gritty, settings), but it seems like an odd fit.

Urizen

First Post
MoogleEmpMog said:
I'm a big fan of both systems, but I have to say, it seems to me True20 is very similar to Mutants & Masterminds... except in all the things that make M&M do Final Fantasy well. :\

Maybe it's because I'm still seeing True20 as tied to Blue Rose or as I've seen it used (for low-powered, though not necessarily grim and gritty, settings), but it seems like an odd fit.

You make a good point there. True20 (as far as Blue Rose is concerned) Doesn't really have the "over-the-top" oomph that M&M does. And that's really what you need for Final fantasy campaign. I'd like to see a M&M supplement geared directly towards creating Manga-inspired characters and campaigns.

As far as grim and gritty is concerned, (shameless plug forthcoming) I'm going to be publishing The Blood throne setting this summer. The best way I can describe it without getting really detailed, is that it's "Post Apocalyptic Fantasy."

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Urizen said:
You make a good point there. True20 (as far as Blue Rose is concerned) Doesn't really have the "over-the-top" oomph that M&M does. And that's really what you need for Final fantasy campaign. I'd like to see a M&M supplement geared directly towards creating Manga-inspired characters and campaigns.

Actually, I was referring more to the lack of classes (or, more to the point, each character being a class unto himself), the oft-universal use of magic (rather than having it tied to the adept class) and the tight focus of most characters' combat abilities. Most of the FFs aren't immensely 'over the top' in the way action anime or superheroes or wuxia can be, IMO.

The OP actually asked for Advent Children specifically, though, so over the top would definitely be in order. :D

Nomad4life

First Post
FF can perhaps best be emulated with either True20 or M&M. Although Tr20 is my personal favorite of the two, M&M does handle the “Whack Factor” better; that is, the ability to create your own unconventional characters, abilities, and gear. This will be the key to running an over the top setting such as Final Fantasy well.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Urizen said:
That's such a cool movie.

Well, I didn't necessarily mean it as a COMPLIMENT...

Still, it captured the important part of FF7 perfectly: rooting for Rufus, the Turks and Sephiroth! :D And Vincent. Nothing wrong with Vincent.

JackGiantkiller

First Post
Good ideas, all. And thank you. I have ended up, oddly, doing pretty much none of the above, despite the immense value of your suggestions... I've ended up just using gestalt, extra feats, action points, and a modernized Eberron setting, using Dragonstar rules so as to avoid having to use Modern. We've played M&M, and enjoyed it immensely...but we didn't want to use it for this. Thanks for all the ideas, folks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads