• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Finally found a use for Ringnmail (and other silly character design discussion)

Warpiglet

Adventurer
What is ringmail? Is it some tunic with metal rings stitched onto them? Do you have to introduce stores for kinky stuff into your campaign which sell this (along with studded leather and other Fashion acessoires)?

There is (chain-)mail plate brigandine and padded armor in different thickness. You can add banded armor and scale armor, these actually did exist. A breast plate is super cool a chain Shirt i am even fine with that but really what is ring mail?

In my case it's a game rule! Sort of like it getting rid of a dex penalty!

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I like it!

Maybe the bad knee is not an old wound, but a result of the magical tests done on him... like a grafted fiend leg that does not work quite right.

I think that it would also be cool if he could keep the armor but upgrade it... like with runes or such, so you aren't too penalized for keeping it for roleplaying reasons...

Warpiglet

Adventurer
I am such a liar!! Rolled stats are actually:

12 15 16 11 7 6!

Final stats with heavily armored:

14 6 16 11 7 16

Brutal!

But I had an idea...mad wizard wants to make "living dead" so fuses his formerly loyal henchman (LN) alignment with the stuff of the shadowfell! Hence a hexblade is born...the character survives due to both roughness (16 CON) as well as a strong sense of self (16 CHR).

As it turns out the evil wizard carved runes into our hero's hide and tormented him to break him leaving lingering injuries (6 DEX). He lives on but has seen things he should not have seen and has what we might see as PTSD (7 WIS).

Before he could be finished off he was handed a cold dagger by a black hand reaching out from a cauldron. It seems the wizard made enemies? In the shadowfell who were all too happy to see the wizard stabbed by the weapon. With no strength left, the character was too weak to fight but found the weapon was almost propelled by his will!

The character (mercenary veteran background) sets out with a limp to find his fellows who helped the wizard betray him (vengeance) but also to learn more of the magic he seemed to channel (Arcana skill and sorcerer multi class. He now knows the value of magic items And will seek them for his use or a fee (will either get eldritch sight warlock 2 or detect magic spell, as well as take "knock" to get into locked rooms).

Vengeance and personal improvement with some sense of honor is what I like...limping scarred toughness? Check. Pale blue eyes and white streak in beard due to warping magic? Check.

I think I can adventure with almost any party in any campaign. That he generally finds employ by commoners and those
Who are downtrodden suggests he may have some sympathy for the lowly and perhaps hints at humble beginnings never disclosed.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I think you have a really strong concept here... and one of the thing I like is that it's actually quite adaptable, as in you could "tweak" the mechanics while remaining completely true to the concept.

If I were to play this character - and I wished I had seen this earlier, but ah well - I would make him a level 2 fighter then all in Hexblade. the levels of fighter would give him the HP, the armor, action surge and a bit of healing. Big downside would be losing the wisdom (and general spell-casting). I'm also not sure if I would make him a hexblade or a fiend patron. But I definitely would need to talk to the GM to do something about keeping that ring mail relevant.

I can see him, black leather armor coat covered in rings and bits of metals with runes on them, conical helm that's a bit split on the side, long pointy noise, thin features, burning eyes and wild hair, dragging a sword on the ground, limping along... the picture I have in my mind is so clear, I just wish i could draw!

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Ooh - or level *3* fighter, take eldrich knight *then* have the misadventure. Would ad a bit more spell-casting depth? Hmmmm

Remove ads