Finally getting some use out of Chapter 4 (Other than Backgrounds)

S'mon

Legend
Another thing that might hinder them is that many bonds, ideals, and traits oftentimes can be so wide-open or wishy-washy that they literally could be applied to almost anything they do and thus they just feel odd trying to claim it.

Agree 110%. The wishy-washy feel of that PHB section is I think the main reason it tends to be ignored IMO.

guachi

Hero
It's weird when players given the option to gain a resource that gives them advantage when they need it at practically no cost don't go for it. I suspect this might have something to do with the difficulty of the challenges being presented in the game, but it could be many things.

I think it's lack of confidence in knowing your character.

In my current campaign, all of one session old, I explained your version of awarding inspiration.

They understood (or at least seemed to) and a benefit is that the game is a married couple and two sisters. One of the sisters is new to the game. However, because was player knows one other player really well I think they are a little more comfortable. I even had one player, the newest, change one of her traits spontaneously . She had her character react to a situation and decided that was her trait and not whatever she had written down.

I was fine with it and so we're the other three players who suggested it would be fun.

guachi

Hero
Either that, or they have a incredibly specific trait that as a DM you have to work extra-hard to ever have it come up in the game just so you could let them activate it. "I like eggs." Okay, great... now how or when exactly am I going to put you in a situation when you could actually try and claim Inspiration because you like eggs? Because more often than not... the one time you put eggs in an adventure for that one player is the night that player isn't able to show up. ;)

Eggs-actly. My trait is "bad word play". I shall take my Inspiration now, thank you.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I tempt characters when they or a foe rolls a 1 on a d20. It's sort of like "GM intrusions" from the Cypher System, or like a crit-fail that gives you Inspiration. But, it's voluntary -- I offer the player Inspiration, and they can turn it down to just treat the 1 like a normal fail. It's not always the character who rolls the 1 who gets the offer; like, if you are shooting into melee and roll a 1, I might offer your ally the Inspiration in exchange for them getting hit instead of you.

dave2008

Legend
It's weird when players given the option to gain a resource that gives them advantage when they need it at practically no cost don't go for it. I suspect this might have something to do with the difficulty of the challenges being presented in the game, but it could be many things.

Actually, it is a fairly common human condition. We tend to take the option that is perceived to be better/safer now than one that could help us more in the future. Not universal - but a very common response.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Actually, it is a fairly common human condition. We tend to take the option that is perceived to be better/safer now than one that could help us more in the future. Not universal - but a very common response.

There is almost never a cost to earning Inspiration though unless the DM is of the mindset that the PC needs to pay a price for it (which he or she doesn't have to be and, to my mind, shouldn't).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This is the mindset I'm trying to change, to not have PCs hold onto their Inspiration for rainy days but spend them more easily and have their character's not play it safe, embracing complications to earn that Inspiration back.
One direct way would be to not have characters regain Inspiration from Long Rests which is a route I'm considering as it makes Inspiration far more valuable.

If it is perceived as harder to get, won't that mean they hold on to it more tightly, rather than less?

Sadras

Legend
If it is perceived as harder to get, won't that mean they hold on to it more tightly, rather than less?

I hear what you're saying, but I currently have players not engaging with their characteristics and Inspiration is freely given.

By not having it at all they are likely going to engage to get it. It's that engagement I'm after. Right now 0 engagement and free Inspiration. At least my method encourages 1 engagement for that Inspiration point. That would be more than I'm getting now.

And hopefully once they start engaging they will see how easy it is.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
There is almost never a cost to earning Inspiration though unless the DM is of the mindset that the PC needs to pay a price for it (which he or she doesn't have to be and, to my mind, shouldn't).

OK, I thought the comment I was responding to suggested a cost/lack of immediate benefit (whether real or perceived) was in play. My mistake.

EDIT: I see I was conflating your comment with the OP. My mistake.

Remove ads