• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Finally reading the trilogy...

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
The Icewind Dale trilogy and the Homeland quadrology are pretty good. After that it starts going downhill, significantly, until you hit The Spine of the World.

Brad

SnowleopardVK

First Post
Am I the only one who saw "the trilogy" in the thread title and assumed the thread would be about Tolkien's LotR?

Or am I just getting really old? B-)

I honestly didn't think of that at all when I posted it.

Probably 'cause I read LotR years ago. To only now have begun reading it would just be wrong.

beepeearr

First Post
Ah the good old days, I remember reading all those as they were being released. Spellfire first, before I ever even thought of playing, then Dragons of an Autumn twilight, then Darkwalker on Moonshae, then the Crystal Shard. Weasel's Luck, and Stormblade from Dragonlance were fun reads, too. So were a lot of the Harper's books, like the Night Parade, Soldiers of Ice, Red Shadows, and the Ring of Winter.

noretoc

First Post
Dont want to take it too far off topic, but I really like the early harper book. They focused alot on the "not-so-mighty" and had some great stories. When they started moving to the "heroes" if got boring for me. Elfshadow was so good it made me pick of the new pathfinder book by the same author.

IronWolf

blank
Ah the good old days, I remember reading all those as they were being released. Spellfire first, before I ever even thought of playing, then Dragons of an Autumn twilight, ...

I remember waiting to read each of the Dragonlance trilogy as they were released! Begging my parents to take me up to the city on or quite near release day to get the next one as it was released.

Dont want to take it too far off topic, but I really like the early harper book. They focused alot on the "not-so-mighty" and had some great stories. When they started moving to the "heroes" if got boring for me. Elfshadow was so good it made me pick of the new pathfinder book by the same author.

I really enjoyed Elfshadow as well. Elaine Cunningham was great. Her being an author for the Pathfinder Tales line with Winter Witch was what turned me on to that whole fiction line by Paizo. There have been several other good books in the Pathfinder Tales line as well.

Fast Learner

First Post
Am I the only one who saw "the trilogy" in the thread title and assumed the thread would be about Tolkien's LotR?

I thought the same, and having LOTR in mind when I saw that it was these books resulted in some serious wincing, along the lines of seeing "finally trying wine" and then discovering you were referring to MD (Mad Dog) 20 20 or Night Train or Thunderbird. Oof.

Tamlyn

Explorer
I'll second many thoughts already here. I reread the Icewind Dale trilogy a few months ago and it wasn't nearly as good as I remember. The books get progressively better but then I didn't enjoy the Hunter's Blades trilogy or Transitions nearly as much as some of the previous books. I really enjoyed Gauntlgrym though and look forward to the next one.

I read the Spellfire trilogy years ago and it completely turned me off of Ed Greenwood. I haven't read any of his stuff that doesn't feel like slogging through mud, wearing ankle weights, and carrying a week-old dead heifer past a rendering plant. I quite enjoy Elaine Cunningham's stuff though.

And the Pathfinder Tales stuff seems way better than the WOTC fiction. What I've read seems more like great fiction set in the world and less adherent to the rules of the world. In other words, it's harder to see the game shining through the story.

Remove ads