• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Finally you can buy a mule

WillOH

First Post
Isn't there a lord of the Mules as well...
One Mule to rule them all, One Mule to find them,
One Mule to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

I miss the old days, when you were starving in the dungeon, so you had to eat your mule or guard dog to survive. Perhaps look for mule under "iron rations"...

Last edited:

twilsemail

First Post
Why would a character want clothes in D&D? They do not do a thing for the character.

There was a mule in Lord of the Rings. His name was Bob. Was it important? No. Did it make the story more interesting (especially when it was eaten by a monster)? Yes. DnD is not supposed be just a string of combat encounters. It's a story and setting devised by someone and roleplayed out by the players. Just because most people think things like mules and buying horseshoes and saddles and outfitting their characters is boring doesn't mean everyone does.

I don't get these complaints. WotC didn't codify the RP side of 4e with rigid and restricting mechanics and that's a problem?

Are you actually against using imagination and creativity in what amounts to a game of pretend?

Do you only use pre-written adventures and scenarios? Do you ignore page 42? Are your in game conversations held with initiative so that everyone gets a chance (that one player making sure to point out that his character is still brooding silently in the dark corner by the fire).

This isn't asking for more chance to RP. Rules don't support RP. They support the stuff that happens between RP.

Rechan

Adventurer
I don't get these complaints. WotC didn't codify the RP side of 4e with rigid and restricting mechanics and that's a problem?

Are you actually against using imagination and creativity in what amounts to a game of pretend?

Do you only use pre-written adventures and scenarios? Do you ignore page 42? Are your in game conversations held with initiative so that everyone gets a chance (that one player making sure to point out that his character is still brooding silently in the dark corner by the fire).

This isn't asking for more chance to RP. Rules don't support RP. They support the stuff that happens between RP.
But you can't have RP without the craft skill, or Charm person.

Because if there aren't rules for it, you can't do it.

Zaran

Adventurer
Rechan said:
But you can't have RP without the craft skill, or Charm person.

Because if there aren't rules for it, you can't do it.

What's the difference between handwaving crafting and handwaving combat? Where you think it's boring someone else might love the idea of being a blacksmith turned chosen one.

Why is it such an issue when people who love 4e wants to see a bit more focus on the rp side? It's not like we are saying that it's such a horrible game without this stuff. It's not we want to replace turn based combat with haggling sessions with a horse dealer. Although True Grit did it awesome!

Besides you don't need alot of rules for a mule. Just a line entry.

Rechan

Adventurer
What's the difference between handwaving crafting and handwaving combat? Where you think it's boring someone else might love the idea of being a blacksmith turned chosen one.
Ok.

Let's say I want to play a Prince or an ex-prince or a Noble. Where's the Reputation score that says how much cred I have with my countryman? Or how I should have more resources than others since my dad's loaded?

What if I want to play an information broker or a politico - where's my Contacts score, that shows how many favors people owe me or how many NPCs I know who are in the know who might have what I'm looking for?

If I want to play a cleric, where's the skill that shows my status in the Church hierarchy?

if I want to be a mercenary captain, how big is my company, how many followers/soldiers do I get at x level?

If I want to build a keep, or create a colony, where are the resources rules to address how to do this? Say, why is the economy rules favoring adventuring and not running a business or a castle or feeding a population?

You're right, some people like RP. Rules to facilitate that RP are nice. But the craft score or prices for mundane items doesn't scratch the surface. And prior editions (aside from say, making keeps or handling followers in 2e) didn't address any of these issues either.

And for the record, I have no problem handwaving combat when it's appropriate.

twilsemail

First Post
Right, so I want a Mule.

And that other player wants a steppe pony.

Our friend wants a riding spider. Another a magical sawhorse. That other one wants a komodo rhino.

You're not looking for RP. You're looking for a tome of rules.

I want a mule. I stick "Mule" at the top of the horse entry and move on. You want a riding tiger? Do the same thing.

Why does the horse entry not work for a Mule?

I hope to all that I hold dear that they don't include a mule. If they do, someone's going to start complaining that there's no Riding Wombat or something else equally silly.

Note to self: Make character with Riding Wombat.

Zaran

Adventurer
Right, so I want a Mule.

And that other player wants a steppe pony.

Our friend wants a riding spider. Another a magical sawhorse. That other one wants a komodo rhino.

You're not looking for RP. You're looking for a tome of rules.

I want a mule. I stick "Mule" at the top of the horse entry and move on. You want a riding tiger? Do the same thing.

Why does the horse entry not work for a Mule?

I hope to all that I hold dear that they don't include a mule. If they do, someone's going to start complaining that there's no Riding Wombat or something else equally silly.

Note to self: Make character with Riding Wombat.

A horse costs 75 gold. Does a Mule cost 75 gold? Say Newbie GM declares a mule to be just like a horse and costs 75 gold. No, Level 1 character would ever buy one.

Again, anyone can make up numbers for such a thing. I say that can be said about any part of the game. Why does it have to be that the combat side of the game is the only thing fleshed out and everything else has to burst out of the GMs head? This really isn't about the mule. It's about giving the GM the ability to flesh out the world outside of combat without having to handwave it all.

twilsemail

First Post
So you want, what? A complex algorithm to sort out the cost of any item in the world based on... current market price?

Or do you actually want a giant tome with the price of every single possible item?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads