• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Finally

Palladion

Adventurer
Time to jump on the bandwagon...

What HD does the Monk get? And has the unique abilities of the elemental monk been replaced by spells?

Monks use d8 for hit dice.

The Way of the Four Elements monastic tradition allows monks to use their ki to duplicate certain spells and effects (not all of them are from the spell lists).

Oh dear. That must be the worst version of Favored Enemy in any edition of D&D.

Is it, though?

In every edition with favored enemy, there's always been a sense that if the DM didn't include those enemies, the ranger was never getting to fight at his full potential. But trying to accommodate that sometimes tied the DM's hands. It was one of the major examples of "PC features that only the DM gets to decide when the PC uses."

This? This is a nice, flavorful little bonus that, if you don't get to use it, isn't a big deal. As long as everything else about the ranger is balanced accordingly, I think this may wind up being a good thing.

Palladion

Adventurer
Thank you SO MUCH for getting back to me so quickly. I am pretty much sold on blade pact warlock now, which was what I really wanted in the first place. ONE MORE question if you don't mind. Did they allow for additional magic schools for eldritch knight, or is it still just evocation and (I forgot the name of the school, but it's the one with all the defensive buffs).

Evocation and abjuration for Eldritch Knight.

Snapdragyn

Explorer
Is it, though?

In every edition with favored enemy, there's always been a sense that if the DM didn't include those enemies, the ranger was never getting to fight at his full potential. But trying to accommodate that sometimes tied the DM's hands. It was one of the major examples of "PC features that only the DM gets to decide when the PC uses."

This? This is a nice, flavorful little bonus that, if you don't get to use it, isn't a big deal. As long as everything else about the ranger is balanced accordingly, I think this may wind up being a good thing.

I guess with the Hunter abilities it's really just breaking it out into different components (w/ the damaging component being broader, & thus less subject to the concern you mention).

Hoping the Beastmaster comes out better (to my play preference, that is) than the alpha version, but that's a level of analysis I'll wait to get through my own read on Friday. At the very least I hope the animal companions can scale up a bit as the ranger levels.

Ashkelon

First Post
Was the Great Weapon Master feat changed. Before it allowed you to add an additional weapon die of damage and add your strength bonus twice to damage for a -5 penalty to hit.

Palladion

Adventurer
Knowing Palladion IRL, I have seen the book I'll field these questions, as warlock was the on thing I'm very interested in.

The pact blade gains another invocation that lets you deal extra necrotic damage equal to your Cha mod, called Lifedrinker. You are now also able to bond a magic weapon as your pact weapon. In all regards this magic weapon will be treated as your pact weapon.

Daag can handle all the warlock, wizard, and creatures appendix (and more). They only had the single copy or he would have a copy too, heh. Unfortunately, I need to step out for dinner for a couple hours. I will try to answer everything when I come back.

(Feats and spell lists too. I am sending Daag what I can before I need to leave.)

Last edited:

Vael

Legend
I really want to ask about how the Sorcerer and Wizard's spell lists compare, but that's a lot of work. So instead, I'd like to know about the Sorcerer's Metamagic ability. How does it work? Is it daily or use Sorcery points? How many options are there?

Daag

First Post
Thanks a ton for answering questions!

I have three easy ones:

1) what does the Martial Mastery feat do?
2) what does Heavy Armor Master feat do?
3) do Sorcerers get Firebolt as a cantrip?

1 - I think you mean the Martial Adept feat, and it gives you two battle master maneuvers and a superiority die
2 - +1 Strength, -3 damage from piercing, bludgeoning, slashing damage from non magical weapons
3 - yes

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads