• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Find me a home for my hexblades!

Remathilis

Legend
I made them a cabal of "witch-knights" followers of a evil sorcerer/king who made himself immortal. His teaching are the bases of Hexblade training. It makes them a fraternity-like (though competition is strong) and adds the strong cruel streak the class implies.

BelXiror

First Post
I don't know much about it, but how about Ravenloft? The bent on curses, not being good and necromancy spells seems to fit from a superficial view point.

BelXiror said:
I don't know much about it, but how about Ravenloft? The bent on curses, not being good and necromancy spells seems to fit from a superficial view point.

Bingo! In my Ravenloft campaign, I wanted to seriously cut down on demihumans, so I nixed dwarfs, halfling, and gnomes. This left Calibans (half-orcs), Half-Vistani, Humans, Sithicans (elves), and Vistani.

In order to "gothic up" the Sithicans, I changed their favorite class to Hexblades. In this way, the innate magic-ness of the elves is shown through their use of spells, their tie to the Land (note capital L, Ravenloft faithful) through the curses, and their mastery of the sword through the moderate-good combat capabilities of the class. Half-Sithicans, by the way, were Calibans - human and Sithican DNA don't mix nice.

Thanks
Matt

Psion

Adventurer
BelXiror said:
I don't know much about it, but how about Ravenloft?

Something to consider, but I would have a hard time justifying any number of hexblades on the planes given the default and strongly underscored "inescapable" nature of Ravenloft.

BelXiror

First Post
How about Hexblades being Gypsies, as you say, but there EX-Ravenloftites.

One of the few groups of people who managed to escape, and the taint of Ravenloft has followed them since.

Psion

Adventurer
BelXiror said:
How about Hexblades being Gypsies, as you say, but there EX-Ravenloftites.

One of the few groups of people who managed to escape, and the taint of Ravenloft has followed them since.

I have no problem stealing the Vistani from Ravenloft (and possibly other aspects to create a bit of a ravenloftish-world), but see no reason to use the setting itself, as it seems likes I would have to handwave away too many of the established setting aspects.

One thing I dig about BCD and similar books with "capsule" worlds and planes is that they give me room to innovate. Pulling in full-blown setting worlds makes me... leery.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Easy ravenloft inclusion, the lords are trapped in their lands and can close their borders at will, but nobody else is trapped unless the borders are actively closed.

This changes things like summoned creatures not going away but that is relatively minor.

Psion

Adventurer
How many ways do I have to say "I'm not interested in importing Ravenloft into my cosmology", guys? ;)

That said: what reasources are there for Vistani in 3.xe?

Blackivarr

First Post
A small Order

I used them in my Scarred Lands game a while back. It seems that some unethical Forsaken Elves sold some of the cursed children to a coven of Hags. The Hags did thier Hag stuff and they now had a bunch of Hexblade Forsaken Elves to throw against the world. ........Yea It was a gritty game but that is another story.

-Blackivarr

Remove ads