• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Find Steed and controlling that Steed

Arryn

Explorer
The Paladin spell Find Steed allows you to summon an intelligent mount. It says that if the chosen creature's INT is not 6 it should be bumped up to 6. Does that mean that it is now intelligent enough that it makes it's own actions as per the Mounted Combat rules? I guess we may have to wait until the MM until we know just how smart is smart.

Another question: The spell states that it creates a bond that allows you to fight as a seamless unit. Does this mean that Animal Handling roles are NEVER needed? The rules for this are a little vague at the moment and I was curious what everyone is doing in their own individual games.

Thanks for the input.

GameDoc

Explorer
My reading of the "Controlling a Mount" section (p. 198) is that you can control an unintelligent mount or let it act independently, but that an intelligent mount is always acting independently. It may follow your commands, but is doing so willingly just like any ally might. So you'd basically just have to communicate your intentions to an intelligent mount without expending an action. But it can always say "no" and force roleplaying or a skill check to get it to comply.

In the case of a paladin's steed, the instinctive bond seems to me to be an instance of "specific trumps general" when it comes to rules. The steed will follow your telepathic or verbal commands or otherwise coordinate with whatever course of action you are following. It's an intelligent mount that won't say no.

Of course, 5e also emphasizes DM rulings, so it's also possible that an atypical situation may come up where the DM decides you need to make a handle animal or persuasion check. Maybe you're steed is celestial and you seem to be directing it to do something that seems evil, etc.

gyor

Legend
I think a Paladin's Steed can say no, but because loyalty is so ingrained into its nature, it would need an incredibly good reason to do so, like it knows something the Paladin does not, or the Paladin or mount are magically controlled, or the Paladin is about to commit a massive betrayal of her vows.

GameDoc

Explorer
That makes for some pretty good RP. Your mount can also kind of be your Jimminy Cricket, acting as your conscience on behalf of whatever forces empower your oath.

zoroaster100

First Post
This reminded me of the Ranyhynn horses and Bloodguard from The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. The Bloodguard are kind of like the paladins of that fantasy world, having become sleepless and immortal after swearing a Vow to serve the Lords that serve and protect the beauty and majesty of Earthpower and the Land. The Ranyhynn are Earthpowerful horses that have great intelligence in their own way. And they seem to be able to predict the future. When a Bloodguard calls for a Ranyhynn, the horse arrives instantly, though to arrive at that moment it might have had to set out days or weeks before and traveled through a difficult road. They serve the Bloodguard willingly and with utter faithfulness, but when later the Bloodguard's Vow falters, and their people seek to ride the Ranyhynn on a journey of pride instead of following a truer path, the Ranyhynn refuse to bear them on that journey.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
I had a sudden question about Find Steed (not having the books yet).

Could one summon, instead of a single animal, a swarm? For example, could an unarmored (and thus lighter) paladin summon a swarm of chipmunks (a re-fluffed rat swarm) and then crowd-surf them into battle with the battle cry "Best! Day! Ever!"?

best-day-ever-chipmunks.jpg

Tormyr

Hero

Could one summon, instead of a single animal, a swarm? For example, could an unarmored (and thus lighter) paladin summon a swarm of chipmunks (a re-fluffed rat swarm) and then crowd-surf them into battle with the battle cry "Best! Day! Ever!"?

best-day-ever-chipmunks.jpg

Good thing the Paladin is immune to disease.

Dausuul

Legend

The spell is quite vague on what exactly can be a steed. It lists off several examples (warhorse, pony, elk, camel, mastiff), and then says "Your DM might allow other animals to be summoned as steeds." No mention of an actual creature type (e.g., beast). Nor does it explicitly limit you to a single animal, though it refers to your steed in the singular throughout.

So, it's basically up to your DM. I would totally allow a swarm of chipmunks as a steed, on one condition: You have to hitch them up and have them pull a sleigh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A01_ef_mtM

Last edited:

Remove ads