"Finding the Path" for 3 February 2012

Rajani Isa

First Post
Lou - It could also refer to the fact that Disrupting and Brilliant Energy abilities are "incompatible", also things like Disrupting and vorpal abilities.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> @R.C, Jr <!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> points out, going back to the earlier quotes, that flaming and frost-- and every other elemental damage enchantment-- require a command word to activate. (Not that anyone I know ever actually played it this way.) Once activated, the energy aura around the weapon persists "until another command is given." Now, I've always taken that to mean that the enchantment has two command words: one command turns the aura on, and the other command turns it off.

Or you might just let it go, because RAW knows there's no other reason to ever take Crossblooded.

As to the first, yup, we play it that way in two of the games as the world setting is that way. But otherwise, we do use both effects because we have those Magic cards as well :) I do not see having both fire and cold in one as that illogical, there are worse things in the RPG world.

As to the second, there are plenty of reasons to play crossblooded. Well, maybe just one, flavor respectively. Or you adapt your house rules for the crossblooded sorcerer to allow for some extras. ;)

Lou

Explorer
Historical argument?

Has anyone checked the first and second edition D&D rules to see if the fire/ice incompatibility is listed there?

As to why to play Crossblooded, how about a 1 level dip for a Wizard or Magus to gain the Orc bloodline and the Sage Wildblooded bloodline? A half-elf with Dual Mind cancels the Will save penalty. Sometimes the Bloodline Arcana powers are enough to justify the choice. ;)

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Has anyone checked the first and second edition D&D rules to see if the fire/ice incompatibility is listed there?

AD&D didn't have "weapon special qualities" like Pathfinder does. A flametongue was a specific kind of magical longsword and a frostbrand was another-- with a set enhancement bonus and other special abilities. Frostbrand also had the ability to insta-kill fiery creatures.

As to why to play Crossblooded, how about a 1 level dip for a Wizard or Magus to gain the Orc bloodline and the Sage Wildblooded bloodline? A half-elf with Dual Mind cancels the Will save penalty. Sometimes the Bloodline Arcana powers are enough to justify the choice. ;)

Orc Bloodline is a good call for a Wizard that casts a lot of damage spells, but it's hardly worth losing your capstone ability. Sage doesn't offer anything to the build except for a paltry skill bonus; it's hardly worth the penalty to Will saves and the lost spell known. Orc and Draconic would work better, giving you a +1/die bonus to all damage spells and an additional +1/die to spells from your energy type.

Technically, though, it's illegal. The Sage bloodline is part of the Wildblooded archetype; both Wildblooded and Crossblooded replace the Sorcerer's Bloodline Arcana class feature and modify the Bloodline Spell feature. It's a simple matter to house rule otherwise-- since the modifications overlap-- but by RAW is not allowed.

While we're talking about Crossblooded house rules... one thing I think would go a long way toward making it worthwhile would be allowing the Crossblooded Sorcerer to gain both of his bloodline spells at each level. That means he retains (almost) the same number of Spells Known as a regular Sorcerer, giving up some freedom in selecting them and eating a loss when they overlap, while the double bloodline arcana accounts for the -2 Will save.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
While we're talking about Crossblooded house rules... one thing I think would go a long way toward making it worthwhile would be allowing the Crossblooded Sorcerer to gain both of his bloodline spells at each level. That means he retains (almost) the same number of Spells Known as a regular Sorcerer, giving up some freedom in selecting them and eating a loss when they overlap, while the double bloodline arcana accounts for the -2 Will save.

That's basically what we decided. There's nothing game breaking in it so I am not sure why this isn't official.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
That's basically what we decided. There's nothing game breaking in it so I am not sure why this isn't official.

With few exceptions, character archetypes were deliberately designed to be weaker than base classes-- not just losing something to gain something, but losing something for the privilege. It's designed to limit power creep, and it works fairly well; the only archetypes that are notably superior to the base class are Monk archetypes intended to fix the balance problems.

SnowleopardVK

First Post
What was supposed to be a difficult fight turns into a cakewalk when the summoner has 50+ augmented summoned creatures swarming all over the enemy/enemies. Low to-hit bonus or not, when there's that many attacks several will sneak in every round no matter how tough the enemy, and when there's flying summons they can pretty much completely box enemies in, making escape nigh-impossible.

So far only incorporeal creatures have regularly thwarted my players' master summoner, and her fellow party members have compensated to be good at covering that weakness.

Remove ads