Finding the Path for Saturday, 7 January, 2012

R.C Jr

First Post
I think this is a good start to what should be a strong series. Already looking forward to the next one.

As for flaming and frost not being active at the same time, RAW states:

Upon command, a flaming weapon is sheathed in fire that deals an extra 1d6 points of fire damage on a successful hit. The fire does not harm the wielder. The effect remains until another command is given.

And:
Upon command, a frost weapon is sheathed in icy cold that deals an extra 1d6 points of cold damage on a successful hit. The cold does not harm the wielder. The effect remains until another command is given.

It is a command to make it a flaming weapon. It is flaming until another command is given. It is a command to make it a frost weapon. In other words, as another command, commanding it to be a frost weapon ends the flaming effect and vice versa.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
It is a command to make it a flaming weapon. It is flaming until another command is given. It is a command to make it a frost weapon. In other words, as another command, commanding it to be a frost weapon ends the flaming effect and vice versa.

That is a good catch, and it could indeed be interpreted that way. I've always read that rule to mean that there is a command word to activate the weapon and a second command word to deactivate the weapon-- and thus that the weapon can have multiple elemental enchantments active at a time, as long as they are all activated separately.

I'll definitely be covering this question in my next column.

Leif

Adventurer
Viktyr, your interpretation seems to imply that the same weaon could have both flaming and frost conditions active at the same time. I know of no specific rule that pertains to this situation, but in my game, the flaming and frost conditions would cancel each other if both were active at the same time, and thus no extra damage would be done for either condition.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Viktyr, your interpretation seems to imply that the same weaon could have both flaming and frost conditions active at the same time. I know of no specific rule that pertains to this situation, but in my game, the flaming and frost conditions would cancel each other if both were active at the same time, and thus no extra damage would be done for either condition.

That's fine, but it's a House Rule and one I do not recommend. I'll mention it in next month's column.

af_sky

Explorer
Amazing column, thank you very much sir!
I also think it was a little bit too long, and a small weekly publication would be better.
And I also agree with your ready action interpretation.

Anyway, looking foward another one!

Remove ads