• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

fire damage & items.

krupintupple

First Post
does energy resistance also protect the items that you wear?

ie: if someone has fire resistance 10 and they decide to lay in a fire (to keep warm while they sleep, or impress the local peasants) do they wake up naked and covered in ash, or does the resistance extend to their armour, clothes, ect.?

Shin Okada

Explorer
I don't agree with Nebten,

From SRD,

RESISTANCE TO ENERGY
A creature with resistance to energy has the ability (usually extraordinary) to ignore some damage of a certain type each round, but it does not have total immunity.
Each resistance ability is defined by what energy type it resists and how many points of damage are resisted. It doesn’t matter whether the damage has a mundane or magical source.
When resistance completely negates the damage from an energy attack, the attack does not disrupt a spell. This resistance does not stack with the resistance that a spell might provide.

This is the default rule and it does not say that resistance to energy protects one's gear.. So unless otherwise noted, Resistance to Energy does not protect one's gear. Some spell or ability may say that the resistance gained from it also protects one's gear.

In case of spells, they will often allow you to save (in that case attended magic items are damaged only when a character rolls natural 1 on the save) or targets creature (PC) only. So magic items are rarely damaged during combat.

So, yeah, if a someone with fire resistance 10 sleeps in a fire, he will end up naked and covered with ash.

But, magic items made of wood or metal tend to have enough hardness to resist non-magical fire. Fire damage is halved before applying object's hardness.

krupintupple

First Post
well, my main concern is what to make of a aasimar PC who is attacked by a black pudding - does the aasimar's innate acid resistance protect his items from the acidic grip of the black pudding, or only he himself from taking damage?

Ahnehnois

First Post
The rules don't seem to specify that energy resistance extends to items, and intuitive, I don't see that it would (particularly if it's extraordinary and not a spell).

They also don't specify that items are damaged unless they are sundered or targeted by some special ability.

In the case you're describing, I think the black pudding's ability would work and the aasimar's resistance would not save items. It is kind of baffling that it automatically destroys armor, given the amount of hardnesss and hit points a high quality suit of armor can have. I'd apply the pudding's 21 damage to the armor and see what happens.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Blueshine magic armor property (Magic Item Compendium) makes your metal armor immune to acid damage and rusting effects. As it is fixed +1,500 gp property, a kind of must have.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads