• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Firearms, Explosives and You

Negflar2099

Explorer
Ever since WoTC released the early sample of the DMG with firearms and explosives rules I've been curious how people would react, but strangely I haven't seen a lot of discussion.

I'm just wondering, what does everyone think? Personally they seem to do more damage than I was expecting (especially the modern firearms). I saw one person who thought that invalidated wizards, which has been a bane of past attempts at introducing firearms to D&D. I mean if a fighter can grab a few grenades and an M-16 and be better than a wizard with more HP, why even have the wizard class at all?

So is that what's going on here? If you wanted to balance it would you reduce the damage or is it fine as is? What about proficiency? How would that work?

I was also working on a set of rules for introducing modern armor into the game but I ran into a block. I didn't want modern armor to just be better AC (which would ruin the bounded accuracy system) so instead I thought all guns could do ballistics damage (instead of piercing). Then modern armor would grand resistance to ballistics damage. Also some monsters, such as dragons and demons, might have ballistics resistance as well.

What does everyone think about that? Would that make firearms more balanced or would that defeat the purpose of having guns?

Lucas Yew

Explorer
If I were on the design team, I'd lower the damage dice by 1 step, and treat all firearms as "magical" for the purpose of dealing with non-magical immunity/resistances. It would be narratively silly if a (non-magical) nuke/TNT couldn't wipe out stone golems because of some weird mana-physics whatever...

BigVanVader

First Post
I approve of guns emasculating wizards. They can go back to their towers and sulk with their spellbooks.

Also, I approve of the two ideas presented here, IE ballistics damage and the magical item shpeal, so that nukes can take down golems.

I'm just waiting for them to stat chainsaws, so I can make my zombie hunting Urban Ranger with one hand cut off.

Derren

Hero
If I were on the design team, I'd lower the damage dice by 1 step, and treat all firearms as "magical" for the purpose of dealing with non-magical immunity/resistances. It would be narratively silly if a (non-magical) nuke/TNT couldn't wipe out stone golems because of some weird mana-physics whatever...

And why would a simple handgun be able to hurt the Tarrasque?

BigVanVader

First Post
All you gotta do is add loads of ballistic and other resistances to the Tarrasque. Or just say, "Yeah, your glock doesn't hurt the giant Godzilla-expy, try something else."

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I would have added the "Loud" property to all of them (give you three guesses what that would do)

The Renaissance weapons are fairly balanced as is. All that is needed (aside from Loud) is some kind of Pistoleer and/or Musketeer feat that allows for multiple attacks per round or easy multiple weapon usage. Heck, I would even be willing to make some kind of Grenadier feat. But be careful about Rogues throwing bombs as a free action.

The modern and alien weapons aren't balanced at all. They are more of a novelty McGuffin or dungeon/adventure gimmick. The resistance idea on modern armor is a good idea though.

fjw70

Adventurer
I don't see firearms invalidating wizards. Wizards can do a lot more than cause damage.

Also, the modern and futuristic weapons aren't suppose to be widely available. They should be rare with very limited ammo available. If you want to make them widely and easily available then it will have a big impact on your campaign.

I will probably have the black powder firearms available in my world but their cost will make them rare.

bleezy

First Post

I think it would be awesome if a nuke couldn't wipe out a stone golem.

FXR

Explorer
My campaign is set in Blackmoor and, like any self-respecting Blackmoor campaign, it features one alien PC who has a laser pistol. He rarely uses it because he has no spare power pack and he doesn't want to draw attention to himself. in fact, as a monk, he prefers to go mano amano with an opponent.

From my experience, alien technology, if properly used, will not unbalance the game. You just have to make sure that ammunition is rare.

Also, a 6th level wizard can do 2d10 damage with a firebolt cantrip. No need for power pack and no risk of being disarmed. It sure beats a laser pistol.

Remove ads