• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fireball

3 Man

First Post
Do fireballs still catch stuff on fire? Do any fire spells catch things on fire? How do you catch things on fire? I'm not looking for a real powerful in game effect, but if one of my players throws a fireball at a baddie standing next to a curtain does the curtain catch on fire? Can I just DM fiat the effect, or is there some sort of rule covering it?

In previous edditions I would just do what feels good, but for some reason with 4E I feel as if there is some sort of magical game balance that must be preserved. Help!

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
There isn't any specific rule that states that fire spells catch things on fire that I'm aware of. But you are always free to exercise your best judgment as DM in such matters. Just make sure you let your players know.

CapnZapp

Legend
D&D 4th Edition is a gamist, not a simulationist, game.

All damage is "video game" damage; that is, powers do what is described and no more.

There are no side effects (unless explicitly noted). There are no interaction between elements. There are no follow-up conditions.

If you want Fireball to set things on fire; Lightning Bolts doing more damage to (or more easily hit) targets in Chainmail or Platemail; Acid Bolts to melt through walls or floors...

...you will have to do it all on your own. Be prepared to make many ad hoc calls, and don't play with players sensitive to their DM occassionally making inconsistent rules judgements.

Why? Because real physics is way too complex for a pnp rpg to simulate. In its fourth edition, D&D doesn't even try.

By RAW, a spell that target creatures can target objects if the DM deems it so. ;)
There is no special rule regarding worn or carried equipment, but I suppose the general assumption would be they are part of the targeted creature and not seperate objects.

So if you think that a Fireball spell is ought to burn away the furniture and books lying around, you can say so. In that case, these objects would take the damage indicated by the spell/power. Suggestions on hit points for some objects are in the DMG, if I remember correctly.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
D&D 4th Edition is a gamist, not a simulationist, game.

All damage is "video game" damage; that is, powers do what is described and no more.

There are no side effects (unless explicitly noted). There are no interaction between elements. There are no follow-up conditions.

Well, I'd disagree in calling this "video-game damage", but that's just probably down to you and me playing different video games.

In response to the OP, I'd say that if you want Fireball (and other fire spells) to set things on fire then get it clear in your head what this means, and expect the players to take advantage of it in ruthless fashion. But go crazy with it, why not?

Nightson

First Post
Why would fireball not damage objects in it's radius? It isn't a discriminatory spell, it'd damage everything in it's radius. Since objects vulnerability to things is determined by the DM, if you think an attack with the fire keyword hitting the object would light on fire, then it's on fire.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Here's how I've handled it. First and foremost, it needs to be dramatically appropriate -- every little scorching burst isn't going to light up the dungeon. But when the fire burst scores a critical hit against the elite vampire warlock mastermind, killing him, in the dusty old castle attic... he needs to explode and his flaming body parts need to ignite the place, making the fight with the otherworldly entity released by his passing all the more dramatic.

-- 77IM.

Pbartender

First Post
Do fireballs still catch stuff on fire? Do any fire spells catch things on fire? How do you catch things on fire? I'm not looking for a real powerful in game effect, but if one of my players throws a fireball at a baddie standing next to a curtain does the curtain catch on fire? Can I just DM fiat the effect, or is there some sort of rule covering it?

In previous edditions I would just do what feels good, but for some reason with 4E I feel as if there is some sort of magical game balance that must be preserved. Help!

DMG, page 66:

Object Immunities and Vulnerabilities

Usually, it doesn’t matter what kind of attack you make against an object: Damage is damage. However, there are a few exceptions.

All objects are immune to poison damage, psychic damage, and necrotic damage.

Objects don’t have a Will defense and are immune to attacks that target Will defense.

Some unusual materials might be particularly resistant to some or all kinds of damage. In addition, you might rule that some kinds of damage are particularly effective against certain objects and grant the object vulnerability to that damage type. For example, a gauzy curtain or a pile of dry papers might have vulnerability 5 to fire because any spark is likely to destroy it.​

In other words... Yes there is a rule, and it says, "Use your own good judgement."

Charts to use as guidelines for hit points for materials are on the previous page.

Remove ads