• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Fireball

Rhuarc

Explorer
Maybe I missed the answer somewhere in the various Level-Up threads before, but what is the basis for deciding which spells get a 'rare' alternative (or multiple)? Thanks!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Maybe I missed the answer somewhere in the various Level-Up threads before, but what is the basis for deciding which spells get a 'rare' alternative (or multiple)? Thanks!
Word count? Theoretically every spell can have dozens of rare alternatives.

Stalker0

Legend
I'm a bit disappointed by the nonrare curse keeping all of the caster specific conditions on top of short duration & concentration (ie +1d8 when you attack/disadvantage on attacks against you) rather than opening up those first level spell effects* to the caster's allies in the third level spell. Given the umber of cantrip & 1st level spell effects present though, that "so long as it is weaker than the options above" bit of different effect should be "similar strength" "comparable power" or similar.
Yeah I have to agree. The base bestow curse is very mediocre (it should not have concentration at the very least), and the rare version is just godly.

Teleportation becomes a ritual but also becomes a bit more dangerous to use without a permanent teleportation circle. That's an interesting change that I can get behind.

Teleportation becomes a ritual but also becomes a bit more dangerous to use without a permanent teleportation circle. That's an interesting change that I can get behind.

It's a little bit more dangerous but being a ritual it offers an easy way out. If you're in a really bad place, remove the immediate threat and perform Teleportation again at no cost. Scry & Die becomes compartively less dangerous, even with the added risks. I like it, though.

Syunsuke

Roll 21.
It seems the example of "off target" is doubly wrong.
2 times 4 is 8, not 6.
Even if you actually means 6, 6% of 1,000 miles is 60 miles, not 600 miles.

The odds table for Viewed Once and Description have the same values. Is that intended? If so, is there a reason to have two separate entries?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads