• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Firefly] Episode Ideas

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
Okay. First of all, Bad Players! Stay Out! Otherwise no more carrots for you.

Now that that is finished, I'm currently running a Firefly game using cinematic unisystem and am looking for more plot ideas. I have a group of 6 players with the following characters.

Character Name: Irvin Nigel Take
Role: Pilot
Chain of Command: Captain
Description: Kinda laid back. Browncoat who was a lieutenant in the war. Doesn't take kindly to people insulting his ship.

Character Name: Daniel Jardin
Role: Smuggler & occasional Mercenary
Chain of Command: XO (Second)
Description: Middle aged former corrupt sheriff who's job was to keep the smuggling running smoothly on his homeworld. Browncoat who captained a ship in the war, till it was shot down. Has a few enemies and a large varieties of contacts.

Character Name: Mort Cassé
Role: Mechanic
Chain of Command: Third
Description: Humorless mechanic genius. Browncoat Lance Corporeal in the war who ran a lot 'acquisition' runs into alliance territory to get needed parts. Trumped up war criminal now living under an assumed name, which also has a reputation of being a criminal.

Character Name: Campan Lar
Role: Mercenary
Chain of Command: Fourth
Description: Honorable thug who owes a lot of money to several loansharks. Didn't participate in the war.

Character Name: Asta Sarv
Role: Doctor
Chain of Command: Fifth
Description: Brilliant, pacifist, Core 'mad scientist' who spent time on both sides of the war as a medic (first Alliance, then Independents). Not actively sought by the Alliance, but would be tried for deserting and probably treason if caught.

Character Name: Jasp Wee
Role: Mercenary
Chain of Command: Kept as far away from him as possible
Description: Deranged Thug who is nearly the pinnacle of human physical excellence (Strength 6, Dexterity 6, Constitution 5). Past events in his life have warped his mind into blaming 'aliens' for things.

I am currently running them through an altered version of the 'Dead or Alive' script. A synopsis of the first session can be found here. The rest of the episode revolves around the Alliance seizure of their ship to track down the saboteur, who happens to be an old war buddy of Take's. They'll also have to deal with still having their illicit goods stowed on board with Feds crawling about and a far too inquisitive Alliance Commander about the brilliant doctor's on their dinky world.

Several members of the group represent the height of human excellence in Intelligence and Dexterity, and they can be considered exceptional in most physical and mental categories. In fact, only one member is considered below average in an attribute (Jasp has an Intelligence of 1).

To me, this crew would clearly make good test subjects for a number of experiments and one of the crew has probably already been experimented upon (Jasp). I have some vague ideas on incorporating the interest of governmental types should the crew call attention to themselves.

The next episode I am thinking of running deals with an 'abandoned' civilian transport the crew investigates. Not sure if they are sent to salvage or if they happen upon it. The ship was attacked and it initially looks to be by Reavers. In actuality, some disreputable thieves attacked the ship, made it look like a Reaver attack (complete with booby traps) and proceeded to start salvaging. They could not take all of the cargo at once, so will return for the rest of the cargo while the crew is still there.

What I am looking for is more ideas for future episodes, addition/alteration ideas for the next episode, or even little bits to add in to the current episode. Mostly a few jumping off points to get me started. Been a while since I ran a full fledged campaign and first time for a sci-fi one. Just need a little grease for the wheels. I'm sure we've got enough Firefly junkies around to get a fair number of ideas.

Thanks.

GMSkarka

Explorer
I'm running an occasional Firefly-based campaign myself.

I've found a lot of success in recycling traditional western plots.

For example: The players are chartered by a passenger, who turns out to be an old man who was a famous Browncoat, who has operated as an outlaw ever since. He tells them that he'll give them the location they need to take him to once they get off-world. Sure enough, he dies of old age during the launch. A quick search of his belongings reveals the coordinates to the famed Hole In The Wall....a legendary hideout for outlaws, which most say doesn't even exist.

The players, being players, decide to check it out. Naturally, they've got the Alliance, and a bounty hunter, tracking them.

The Hole in the Wall is a space station hidden deep within an asteroid belt. Needless to say, they're not going to be happy when the players show up, leading the Alliance right to them....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads