• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Firefly joins SCI FI Friday line-up

reveal

Adventurer
Truth Seeker said:
Ah yes, but shame can be never be hidden, for the igorance shown in the decision. In cancelling it, in the first place.

*chokes on donut* You actually think Fox has any shame? Fox? The company that put out "When Animals Attack" and that show where an adopted person tried to find their real father by asking questions of men and "narrowing the field" by getting rid of people she didn't think could "possibly" be their father? Seriously?

Captain Tagon

First Post
reveal said:
*chokes on donut* You actually think Fox has any shame? Fox? The company that put out "When Animals Attack" and that show where an adopted person tried to find their real father by asking questions of men and "narrowing the field" by getting rid of people she didn't think could "possibly" be their father? Seriously?

You say that like it is different from any other major network.

But anyway, good news that Firelfy will be getting publicity. I probably won't watch it though, just because I have the DVDs and DVDs don't have commercials to break up the flow.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
reveal said:

SOrry about the choking donut *drats!!! It failed:] *. That statement just came out of left field...or, was it right?:\

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Truth Seeker said:
Ah yes, but shame can be never be hidden, for the igorance shown in the decision. In cancelling it, in the first place.

True. But if the movie(s) do well, they'll get get the shame anyway. So, what would you rather have - shame, or shame plus one million dollars?

F5

Explorer
Captain Tagon said:
I probably won't watch it though, just because I have the DVDs and DVDs don't have commercials to break up the flow.

I've been watching the DVD, and it strikes me how well Firefly handled the breaks for commercials. 3 little mini-cliffhangers in the middle of each episode. I actually found that pausing the DVD where the commercial was supposed to be, and getting up to get a snack or something, actually IMPROVED the pacing of the show.

So, don't rule out seeing Firefly in its' natural habitat: network TV. It's still worth it.

That said, I won't be watching it on Sci-Fi either, but that's just because it's not included in the basic cable package and I'm not willing to pay for premium. C'est la vie...

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Don't count on seeing it back on the small screen at all. I seem to recall Joss has publicly stated that he will not work with the FOX TV people again, even if they want him to return to the small screen. So unless FOX gives up control of the show, I don't think it will happen. And by the time the remaining seven years of FOX's control expires and three movies have come out, I doubt people will still be clamoring for the show to return.

I'd love to see it back for a weekly fix, but it just ain't gonna happen.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Fox would show pretty much anything, if it got ratings.

However, bear in mind that the Family Guy was really really really popular after it got cancelled. It was getting huge ratings on the Toon network, and it sold a gazillion DVDs. (okay, only like 2 million, but apparently it was the top selling DVD of the year)

Firefly has sold a fair amount of DVDs, but I'm not sure anywhere near that many. And a lot might depend on the ratings on the SF channel. IIRC (which is always a danger with me), the Family Guy would beat some big network shows in the ratings in reruns.

KaosDevice

Explorer
Swoop109 said:
Since allowing another Firefly series would be admitting that they were wrong to cancel the series in the first place, I doubt that they would release the rights or renew the option.

Nothing to see here...move along.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Well, has any other network other than Fox, brought back a show a few years later? (Well, yes, NBC and Hunter. And maybe Dragnet. And sorta with the Night Stalker)

But have the first couple minutes of the first episode of the new season of that show just be one of the characters listing all the shows that had come and gone in that period?

Fox has its faults, but a sense of pride (or lack of shame or fear of ridicule) is not one of them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads