• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fireseed Question

Commonblade

First Post
This probably has already been covered, but say I have a player who cast Fireseed on three sets of Acorns, putting max damaged into one acorn on each casting. How many acorns can they launch in a round?

I ruled one acorn because it was a spell.

They argued all three, making a range touch attack with each of a character's three attacks.

Just trying to clear something up for a game.

Thanks.

frankthedm

First Post
Yes, Fireseeds [acorn bomb] is too strong of a spell. Best to Remove it & replace it with a splatbook spell or require no more than 1/2 the fire damage be one single acorn.

Acorn Grenades
As many as four acorns turn into special splash weapons that can be hurled as far as 100 feet. A ranged touch attack roll is required to strike the intended target. Together, the acorns are capable of dealing 1d6 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 20d6), divided up among the acorns as you wish.

Yes, you HAVE to throw them as range touch weapons, not as a range touch attack spell. A full attack thus is an option.

A druid could light his spell stack on fire and load down the rogue with these.

washout

First Post
The acorns only last like two hours and need to be prepped beforehand. Whenever you don't see the fight coming then flamestrike or whatever is much better, especially since it would then require two rounds per shot. I just fail to see a problem with being able to shoot 3 of these in a round. Anything the party fights at level 10+ should be prepared for this kind of magic to begin with. The only time it seems explotive is when the party is facing random goobers that they should be able to easily defeat to begin with.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Acorn Grenade is really good when a party caster gives several grenades to all the party members. But yes, need of beforehand preparation and duration are the balancing factors IMHO.

washout

First Post
Well it's a 5th level spell so the druid won't get it until 9th level and then he can only hand out two at 10th. He won't get three till like 12th and then he only gets 4 at 15th.

I just think it's a small thing to worry about given that at that level a bunch of the party members have some pretty powerful magic items and whatnot. The rogue is probably buying wands of fireball and lightning bolt at that stage. And the fighter might be doing better damage with a full round attack option rather than using the acorns.

Remove ads