• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Firing into Melee

Gog

First Post
I've seen a few people say that you could forgo the -4 for firing into melee but that it gave you a chance of hitting the wrong target. I can't find the rule anywhere, if it exists where is it :confused:

kreynolds

First Post
Gog said:
I've seen a few people say that you could forgo the -4 for firing into melee but that it gave you a chance of hitting the wrong target.

That's a new one on me. It might come from a feat or something, but I don't recall seeing one like that.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
It's a common house rule (that I disagree with, but hey).

Note that certain spells or weapons have this effect : there's a magic arrow in the Book of Vile Darkness that passes straight through any evil creature, and therefore the firer can ignore any evil creatures in melee with his target for purposes of determining whether he incurs the -4 penalty.

I can't remember if it was a rule (FAQ, Sage reply?) or someone's house rule suggestion that the RTA for a Disrupt Undead spell ignores non-undead creatures in melee with the target as well.

-Hyp.

Gog

First Post
Yeah I figured it was a house rule, or a hold over from 2nd. I couldn't find it anywhere but I thought I'd ask here just in case I missed it.

kreynolds

First Post
You'll find that many incorrect DM rulings end up becoming house rules anyway.

DM: "Armor doesn't add anything to your AC."
Player: "Yes, it does. Here's the page."
*shows page to DM*
"DM: "Yeah, well, it doesn't now."

:D (Not in my group, thank god.)

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Heh. It's the weird holdovers from second edition house rules - not even real rules - that bother me :)

I've occasionally browsed the info page for a PbEM and walked away without hesitation when I find something like :

"We will be using Third Edition rules, but I have some house rules... [blah blah] ... Characters fall unconscious at 0 hit points, unless they make a successful save vs Death Magic."

Gah.

-Hyp.

Dingleberry

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
I can't remember if it was a rule (FAQ, Sage reply?) or someone's house rule suggestion that the RTA for a Disrupt Undead spell ignores non-undead creatures in melee with the target as well.

That was me. ;)

Quidam

First Post
Your confusion might have something to do with that arcane ruling about the equal chance of hitting any given grappler when firing into a grapple. Only place that rule is mentioned is in one of the tables...

Remove ads