• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

First 3E Adventure for 1st lev chars, any recomendations?

cbatt

First Post
BryonD said:
The Burning Plague is a very good, very short and completely free module available on the WOTC site.

My first game used it as a lead-in the the Sunless Citadel.

It worked really well.

I'll second that. This adventure is the best intro to 3e that I know of. And it's free.

Click Here to download.

Oh yeah... and from Necromancer Games (my favourite 3rd party publisher) check out The Wizard's Amulet (also FREE!)

Last edited:

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Aside: Piratecat, you ever realize the tendency to abbreviate your name as PC, which conflicts with shortening Player Character? Complicated.
Hmmm... PirateCat = PC. Let's see... Dr Midnight = ... GASP!

I always recommend Gorgoldand's Gauntlet. Sunless Citadel is fantastic.

KB9JMQ

First Post
I would second "The Burning Plague". We used it to get everyone used to 3E, and it was so easy to tie in to The Sunless Citadel.

Also whatever the first Freeport one is. That is also a good starting module, at least from a players point of view.

drnuncheon

Explorer
I have to go with the votes for Of Sound Mind as well. The only major flaw I've found is one poorly placed map (the side view of the mountain) - other than that it's superb. Death in Freeport is also good, if you intend to continue with the rest of the trilogy. Both adventures have a good mix of roleplaying, investigation, and good old fashiond monster-whompin'.

My group continues with OSM tonight (look to the .sig for the writeups!)

J

Gizzard

First Post
I recommend the Sunless Citadel; its unabashedly a dungeon crawl which is designed to highlight some of the basic 3E rules. Its straightforward to DM and its a lot of fun. If you want to get creative, theres also some room to expand the politics and RP interaction.

I'm also enjoying the Freeport series, though they require a lot more DM work. They arent quite full-sized adventures, so you need to provide some padding, and they are much more RP and investigation intensive which leads to more DM work. (Ask yourself this -- if your players found a "to-do list" with the word "turnips" buried beneath several more promising clues, would they immediately run to the local open-air market and begin investigating all of the stalls selling turnips? If so, Freeport is going to be a lot of work for you as a DM.) If you run Freeport, I also highly suggest you read Dr. Nuncheons original story hour. Its great as a playtest walkthrough, its got some good ideas of how you might frame the adventure, and its fun to read. All good.

Count my vote against "The Wizard's Amulet." It's got solid 3e mechanics, but it requires an unbelievable amount of railroading. And, it doesn't take into account several reasonable PC actions that would completely derail the climax.

Of course, if your PCs are complete newbies, this won't matter. But for experienced players I wouldn't use it.

nopantsyet

First Post
LostSoul said:
3 Days to Kill is a good, quick adventure that could bring the PCs together and has a lot of room for future adventures if the DM gets creative.

Add another vote for this one. My players especially loved the final scene with the--well now we would call them "vile", but graphic descriptions of the house's transformation.

Plus, I think it's a good starter for a first-time 3E DM (which I don't know if you are) since it has opportunities for different characters to excel and use many mechanical aspects of the game.

Brent

First Post
Someone said:
I´m playing Witchfire by now and it´s pretty good. Seems as if you have a lot to chose.

I would second that, except I would have say "very" good. It does incorporate some non-standard technology, but that is one of the things I like about it.

Check out their site at: IronKingdoms

Remove ads