• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

First Adventure: Kobold Hall vs Keep on the Shadowfell

Rechan

Adventurer
Reaper Steve said:
Use the KotS pregens for a one-off intro using Kobold Hall, just to teach them the ropes and in a self-contained scenario. Then let them make their own characters and run KotS.
Though doing this might give them kobold fatigue. ;)

hailstop

First Post
Rechan said:

Kobold Hall is more interesting than the first four encounters of H1, which all involve kobolds. It also has a nice synergy with H1's plot, as far as the kobolds are concerned.

This.

I didn't even realize at first that Kobold Hall was there (reading the PDFs), but with what's in there, it's much more interesting IMO than the first few encounters out of KotS. I think I'll use that then dovetail it into the keep itself.

andarilhor

First Post
I want a answer for that too... I starting a campaign with 3 teenagers which never played rpg outside computer (my nephew and his friends).
Whats the better start? Keep on the Shadowfell or Kobold Hall?

Rechan

Adventurer
andarilhor said:
I want a answer for that too... I starting a campaign with 3 teenagers which never played rpg outside computer (my nephew and his friends).
Whats the better start? Keep on the Shadowfell or Kobold Hall?
[sblock]Kobold Hall is short and sweet. It's engaging, but you only fight kobolds and a Big Bad Monster at the end.

Shadowfell is a bit repetitive. You fight kobolds at teh beginning (not as interesting a design as Kobold Hall), then goblins, then undead. But, KotS has a lot of interesting situational designs, the final boss is fun, and there's a nice variety of monsters. Were I to run KotS, I'd definitely mix things up a little bit more, retool some of the encounters. I'd also run Kobold Hall and segue it into the Keep of Keep on the Shadowfell.

Also, Keep is really, really rough; the encounters are potent and higher level than newbies might be prepared for.
[/sblock]

WheelsOnMeals

First Post
I'm planning on running both (Kobold Hall first) with player-created characters. There's definitely a risk of kobold fatigue, but the KH encounters have such interesting environments that I think they won't necessarily feel like kobold encounters. It should be a cool showcase for the kinds of things you can easily plop into 4E without getting too mechanics heavy.

When we move on to KotS that'll serve as more of an intro to the tactics-heavy style of combat that 4E uses. Plus, it'll all but ensure that the party is level 2 before they hit the Irontooth encounter that's claimed so many victims.

I'm not too afraid of the party being overleveled for long. There are a lot of optional branches in KotS, so if they don't feel like exploring every nook and cranny they should be fine. If they do, I'll probably just shortchange them slightly on XP to get them back at the right power level for H2 & H3.

MightyTev

First Post
OK, started! I rolled up characters for all of the players, letting them choose their own powers and skills etc. Then I played through the first two encounters of Kobold Hall using mostly the quick start rules. It worked really well! Although I'm pretty sure I used the traps wrong in the second room.

We plan to finish Kobold Hall tomorrow night and then play KotS next week with the same characters, plus maybe another two. The first four should be at second level by then, should I start the other two at first level, or half way there? Advancement will slow down when we have six characters rather than 4.

Rechan

Adventurer
MightyTev said:
The first four should be at second level by then, should I start the other two at first level, or half way there? Advancement will slow down when we have six characters rather than 4.
Either half-way there, or put the other two at level 2. That way everyone is on the same playing field.

Emryys

Explorer
Is there battle maps available (out side of the DMG) for Kobolds Hall?
I could use Tiles, but if they even have Jpg's available I could make them...
I'd probably do KH before KotS...

Remove ads