• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

First attempt at a PC. Suggestions?

pusher

First Post
I've never rolled a d20 in my life. Am I setting myself up for a painful first time?

Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Mav Griffon
[B]Class:[/B] Fighter
[B]Race:[/B] Human
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] Nuetral Good
[B]Deity:[/B] Agnostic

[B]Str:[/B] 16 +3 (10p.)    [B]Level:[/B] 1        [B]XP:[/B] 0
[B]Dex:[/B] 15 +2 (8p.)     [B]BAB:[/B] +1         [B]HP:[/B] 12 (1d10+2)
[B]Con:[/B] 14 +2 (6p.)     [B]Grapple:[/B] +4     [B]Dmg Red:[/B] -
[B]Int:[/B] 10 +0 (2p.)     [B]Speed:[/B] 30'      [B]Spell Res:[/B] -
[B]Wis:[/B] 10 +0 (2p.)     [B]Init:[/B] +2        [B]Spell Save:[/B] -
[B]Cha:[/B] 10 +0 (2p.)     [B]ACP:[/B] -          [B]Spell Fail:[/B] -

[B]Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]              10    +3    +1    +2    +0    +0    +0    16
[B]Touch:[/B] 12              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 14

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                      2    +2          +4
[B]Ref:[/B]                       0    +2          +2
[B]Will:[/B]                      0    +0          +0

[B]Weapon                   Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]
Spear(One-Hand ) 	   +4	  1d8+3	     20/x3	
Spear(Two-Hands)   	   +4	  1d8+4	     20/x3
Shortspear(Two-Hands)      +4     1d4+4      20/x2
Shortspear(One-Hand )	   +4     1d4+3      20/x2
Dagger,punching(Two-Hands) +4     1d4+6      20/x3
Dagger,punching(One-Hand ) +4	  1d4+4      20/x3
Javelin(One-Hand)	   +4     1d6+3	     20/x2

Spears/ 
Shortspears: 20 ft range.
Javelin    : 30 ft range.

[B]Languages:[/B] Common, Elven

[B]Abilities:[/B] 
none

[B]Feats:[/B] 
Quick Draw  	  	   	 
Point Blank Shot  	 
Far Shot 
Armor Proficiency (heavy) 	  	  	 
Armor Proficiency (light) 		  	 
Armor Proficiency (medium) 	  	  	 
Martial Weapon Proficiency 	  	  	 
Shield Proficiency 	  	  	 
Simple Weapon Proficiency 	  	  	 
Tower Shield Proficiency 	  	  	 

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 12       [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 4/2
[B]Skills                   Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
  (cc)Appraise  	   0    +0          +0
  (cc)Balance 		   0    +2          +2 
  (cc)Bluff 	           0    +0          +0
  Climb 		   3    +3          +6
  (cc)Concentration 	   0    +2          +2
  Craft (Weaponsmithing)   2    +0          +2	
  (cc)Decipher Script 	   0    +0          +0
  (cc)Diplomacy		   0    +0          +0
  (cc)Disable Device	   0    +0          +0
  (cc)Disguise		   0    +0          +0
  (cc)Escape Artist	   0    +2          +2
  (cc)Forgery	    	   0    +0          +0
  (cc)Gather Information   0    +0          +0
  Handle Animal	 	   0    +0          +0
  (cc)Heal		   0    +0          +0
  (cc)Hide		   0    +2          +2
  Intimidate		   0    +0          +0
  Jump			   3    +3          +6
  Swim			   3    +3	    +6
  Ride			   1    +2	    +3

[B]Equipment:               Cost  Weight[/B]
Backpack                  2gp    2 lb
Explorer's outfit         -      3 lb
Blanket,winter		  5sp	 3 lb
Waterskin    		  1gp	 3 lb
1 x Javelin		  1gp    2 lb
2 x Shortspear		  3gp    6 lb
1 x Spear		  2gp	 6 lb
Whetstone  		  2cp    1 lb
Bedroll			  1sp    5 lb
Dagger, punching	  2gp    1 lb
Flint and Steel		  1gp    0 lb
Shield, Small, Wooden     3gp    5 lb
Studded Leather Armor    25gp   20 lb
Journal			  -      3 lb

[B]Total Weight:[/B]59lb      [B]Money:[/B]  0gp  3sp  8cp

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]               76   153   230   460   1150

[B]Age:[/B] 23
[B]Height:[/B] 6'1"
[B]Weight:[/B] 197lb
[B]Eyes:[/B] Blue
[B]Hair:[/B] Dirty Blonde.
[B]Skin:[/B] White, Tanned
Appearance:
Tall, athletic physique. No scars or signs of previous adventuring experience. His hair is just long enough to be tied back, which is its normal state. His armor is brown with patches of layered leather dyed green on appropriate vital areas(Thighs,Knees,Chest,Stomach). Travels with a cloak to protect him from weather with his baggage, shield and spare weapons on his back and a spear in his hand, used as a walking stick.

Background:
Mav is unable to speak due to an illness at a young age, he can make noise if necessary but is unable to control his tone and pitch and therefor chooses not to speak. He is from a small town that he doesn't often reveal, mainly because it would take to much time to play charades with everyone whom asked. Due to his vocal limitations, Mav stuck to manual labor and delivering written messages for money, stuff with the least human interaction possible. When not working, or doing chores for his family, Mav spent his time at a secret cove of a local lake with his dog. Here, he would sometimes camp for days. After a few failed attempts at producing food, Mav found he was decent at fishing with a spear(sharpened stick) and that his dog was happy to fetch the fish on a stick, or any stick at all. Mav continued to practice the use of a spear with his dog when at home, sometimes he would give his dog a workout and throw for distance, sometimes he would throw for accuracy. As Mav grew older, his dog/companion/best friend passed of natural causes, Mav became upset and irratable that he hadn't accomplished much with his life, his father felt his lack of direction and handed Mav his Grandfather's old journal. In the journal, Mav read that his Great Grandfather, Blake, was in much the same situation at Mav's age, Blake became sickened of reading and hearing about other peoples tales of adventure and set off to create his own tale, with his journal at his side for record keeping. Inspired by his ancestor's journal, Mav said his goodbyes and set off to fill in the rest of his Great Grandfathers journal with his own adventure.

Last edited:

FEADIN

Explorer
Quick draw is near useless to you unless you take Rapid shot in place of Far shot.
Two javelin per round with a -2 can be better than one even if you lack the range.

Woodsy

First Post
I agree that you should drop quick draw at this time. I suggest either toughness, dodge or improved initative. Also I would suggest getting a bludgeing weapon. (a club because they are free.) Do you have any food or water? What about torches?

Realize that your job is to be in the front line of a conflict, therefore you might want to get a one hand medium weapon in the future. for now I assume you will use your shortspear. Some DM's might take advantage if you try to use a normal spear against a adjacent foe. You did great considering the limited resources of level 1:cool:

Woodsy

Last edited:

Are you sure you want to go with the thrown ranged weaon route? This requires both high Str and high Dex. If you have another tank in the group, this might work, but otherwise I'd suggest a straight melee character. Feats would include Power Attack, Shock Trooper, Leap Attack, Imp. Buckler Defense, Imp. Sunder, and Combat Brute.

If you wanted to stick to the ranged thrown weapon route I'd suggest PBS, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, and later Ranged Pin, Imp Rapid Shot, and maybe even Shot on the Run. Brutal Throw will help you out to reduce the multiple attribute dependency. Also, according to the FAQ, Two-weapon Fighting can be used with thrown weapons (javelins are one-handed weapons for this, though).

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I have to agree that thrown weapons isn't a good idea--particularly for a first character. A decent thrown weapons character takes a lot of feats and a few PrCs to do well, and you shouldn't worry about that yet. A thrown weapons character is generally weak otherwise. If you want a ranged character, go for a bow, and if you want a melee character, go for ... well, any melee weapon you like.

You also don't have to list all this in your feat list:
Armor Proficiency (heavy)
Armor Proficiency (light)
Armor Proficiency (medium)
Martial Weapon Proficiency
Shield Proficiency
Simple Weapon Proficiency
Tower Shield Proficiency

It's just too long. Just assume you can use everything except Exotic weapons and Exotic armors. You're a Fighter, that says it all.

Looks like you did a good job with the mechanics, especially since you've never rolled a d20 in your life.

Rhun

First Post
I have to agree with the others...the thrown weapons route is very "sub-optimal." Not that I have anything against the concept, the PC will just be a weak build compared to most other fighter-types.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Ditto the ranged vs. melee. Ranged characters only exist to support extant melee characters---to make the obligatory LoTR analogy: If there wasn't Gimli, Legolas would have been meat. :)

Now, if ranged weapons did real-world firearms damage, that'd be a different thing...

Quartz

Hero
I'm not so bothered about the ranged weapons - the shortspear is a hand-to-hand weapon as well - as the PC can throw them as he enters combat. I am bothered about the PC being dumb. This will cut RP opportunities significantly.

I do query the feats: Weapon Focus and Power Attack seem much more sensible, and both are applicable to thrown weapons. Given your high Dex, an alternative would be TWF and Improved Shield Bash.

Kafkonia

First Post
Quartz said:
I am bothered about the PC being dumb. This will cut RP opportunities significantly.

I disagree. I think it could make for some really interesting RP opportunities -- challenging but rewarding!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads