• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

First Character Deaths

skinnydwarf

Explorer
Hey all. On the SO's & gaming thread The Shaman brought up the subject of first character deaths. I was wondering, how did your first character die, and how did you take it?

For myself, I was not present when my first character died. The castle the party was in collapsed, killing everyone. (DM ended the campaign). I didn't take it too badly.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Blackleaf! No!!!!

But seriously....

I was playing two or three characters at the time. I was 9 or 10 and my cousin was DMing me through module B1. I had a couple of other characters on hand, so I didn't care so much.

The Shaman

First Post
Dwarf fighter. Eaten by ghouls.

I was bummed, but it was my fault, so I couldn't really be too upset with the GM. That's when I started thinking of my characters as living on borrowed time.

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
Human Ranger, 1e (back in the dark ages). We're being pursued by a Green Dragon and I shouted out there was no way we were going to make it and we needed to make a stand. So I turned around and drew my bow. And the rest of the party kept going... "Guys? Yo guys?! Where are you?!?" Green Dragon breaths. I miserably miss my saving throw. Chlorine Gas and human flesh, mmmmm, what a combination. (and I had a nice +1 bow, too)

shilsen

Adventurer
Elven fighter/wizard. DM has a random encounter with three wyverns. Elf gets picked up, stung, I roll a 2 or something like that on the save, and that's it. The DM was so shocked by it that he had a Raise Dead scroll show up in the next treasure hoard just for the PC. Wuss :p

Torm

Explorer
My first character death, Lightfoot the Ranger, died in an automobile accident in Mullins, SC, in 1990. He smashed his head into the metal door of a old Chevy van, sacrificing himself to keep the seatbelt-less young girl in the seat in front of him from flying through the front window when the van was hit by another car doing about 50 mph.

Probably not what you meant, but there it is.

The first character I had die IN GAME was a wizard I was playing - Darboz the Enchanter. Hussy sorceress zapped him to dust. He got brought back, though - it was a set-up to make me despise and want to go after her. Worked, too. :]

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Rastlin - killed by hobgoblins on the road outside Solance.

The DM finished the battle but ended the campaign. said there wasn't much point in playing out the rest of the War of the Lance.

I ran a lot of games before playing one where I lost a homemade character - Lets see Bosmo - a halfling Monk, who made the jump from 1st to 2nd. He thought he was on his way to becoming a demi-god was actually on his way to become a deck slave on a MindFlayer Nautalis. in a One on One game. I sighed and put away my books, never playing Spelljammer again. - on to Darksun!

TheLostSoul

Explorer
I had a halfling thief who was beheaded, from behind, by a zombie... I was a bit annoyed, but I had seen it comming and accepted it quickly. I was in a group without a cleric and had only a single hitpoint left, after an unfortunate encounter with an ooze...

phreakphit

First Post
14th level fighter, gloriously killed in a one on twelve battle with orcs. I think I even managed to kill 4 of them. I also learned not to walk TOO far away from my party....

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
I think my first was my cleric, can't recall his name. It was in Straads castle... with some more experienced players. Got stuck on my own in a coridoor full of Shadows. I tried to turn them... rolled badly and failed. It was all over about 1 round later... followed by the rest of the party over the next hour. :D

Remove ads