• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

First Fantasy Novel/Series You Read?

Zuoken

First Post
In the interest of getting our minds away from all our family/significant others going on shopping trips, I decided to post something that might hearken back to the earlier days.

What was the first Fantasy genre novel/series that you ever read? What can you remember about it and what impact has it had on you and your games? I imagine that we're going to get a lot of Hobbits and LoTRs here, but hey, that's still some classic stuff.

For me, it was the Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander. I still remember bits and pieces of it; but the parts that I remember most vividly are those dealing with Arawn. Ever since then I've tried to hoard as much information as I could about the Cloaked God, but unfortunately there seems to be very little. That series is the whole reason that I use the extended Celtic and Welsh pantheon in my D&D homebrew.

I'll also sometimes mumble "Crunchings and munchings..." when I get ravenously hungry. Unconsciously of course :uhoh:...

Starman

Adventurer
The first fantasy novel I read was Terry Brooks' The Scions of Shannara. That was back in junior high. I was always a big reader, but it was first foray into fantasy. I fell in love and haven't looked back since. This probably explains the nostalgic feelings I get from his stuff, despite my later realizing his writing is less than stellar.

Starman

Guillaume

Julie and I miss her
I started with the Hobbit when I was seven, then read LoTR when I was nine. If you want non-Tolkien stuff, I think it was the Dragonlance series, but I'm unsure.

Galethorn

First Post
-The Hobbit when I was 8
-LOTR when I was 8
-the Redwall series over the following few years
-Lloyd Alexanders books in 6th grade (our english teacher actually assigned them; that class was fun)
-Salvatore's lesser-known Demon-war trilogy in early 8th grade
-The Dark Elf Trilogy in 8th grade
-George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series this last fall (I'm 17 now).

The Hobbit/LOTR got me into fantasy. Redwall strengthened my connection to fantasy. The Book of Three (et al.) helped too. The demon-war books (along with having started to play CRPGs) inspired me to start thinking up characters and places. After that, things took off in two directions; writing foremost, but gaming as well.

At first, neither were terribly connected. Then, as I got sick of FR, I realized that the places I had been coming up with for my stories would work great as a setting for a campaign. Ultimately, my first attempt fizzled, but I reworked my setting and have an ongoing campaign in the same setting my writing takes place.

As for how my setting has been influenced...

LOTR gave me a LOT of the basics (elves, dwarves, orcs, etc.),

Lloyd Alexander's welsh/celtic influence is obvious in the nation of Tyrnia,

After reading ASoIF, I reworked the politics between the nations until the 'epic struggle between [good] and [evil]' became all the more epic by virtue of [good] being divided within itself by new and old grudges and open hostility. Oh, and I've made the world much more believable, in terms of demographics, sociopolitics, and logistics.

Greylock

First Post
Anything Andre' Norton and Mark Twain from about third grade until 6th, 7th grade. Ian Fleming and Isaac Asimov from about then 'til 10th. Then I finally got a hold of Tolkein and Heinlein. Piers Anthony helped me out in the early college years until I discovered Salman Rushdie and Stanislav Lem.

That's my fantasy evolution.

Undead Pete

First Post
I think it was the Xanth series by Piers Anthony. It could also be The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks, or the Thieves' World series.

Believe it or not, I didn't read LOTR until just before the movies came out.

The_lurkeR

First Post
I think the first fantasy novel/series I read was the Dragonlance series back when it first came out in '84. (I think I read the Hobbit around the same time.)

Last edited:

Remove ads