• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

First house rule: Tieflings have small horns

d'Anconia

Explorer
I know, it's not really a rule but still...

I like the idea of a demonesque appearance, but when I picture a Tiefling, I don't picture him with the large brutish horns that you see in the PHB excerpts we've found. I think of Tieflings as cunning, mischievous and sly - not hulking or brutish. I imagine a visage of something resembling the popular conception of Lucifer.

They can keep the tail though. That's cool.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I completely agree. I absolutely detest the huge horns; why can't tieflings be a subtly tainted race? Small horns still will give anyone pause, as will strange eye or skin colours, or even the forked tongue suggested in the 3.5 monster manual. Why do we need to be beaten over the head with 'this race is descended from demons'?

In my mind, a tiefling should resemble Darth Maul (possibly without the crazy face paint). He looks menacing and sinister without being completely monstrous.

I'm also in the 'tail should be optional' camp, however. I don't want my tieflings to have tails. It's silly.

HeinorNY

First Post
MortalPlague said:
I absolutely detest the huge horns...

... I don't want my tieflings to have tails. It's silly.
Hellboy-thumb.jpg

-Could you repeat that?

Darkthorne

First Post
Various horn sizes, that could account for someone wanting to play a massive brute if need be. Also tail slimmer & prehensile. Right now they seem like a crossbreed of race A and Matthew Broderick's Godzilla/Jurassic Park critter :-o

jedrious

First Post
My first houserule:

Anyone forcing a houserule on me before the rules even comes out gets a pie in the face and a boot out the door

Horns I don't mind, but the tail...why it is huge, and long enough to go out of a standard 5' square- tiefling need 2 squares! It is large enough that it would seriously add to the weight of armour to cover it, probably another 3rd or so. It is large enough to be a problem in many skill uses.
But I still don't mind, cos it is just a character concept. If my players want big/little horns/tails fine by me:) Humans have a massive amount of variation of appearance, so why not tieflings? and Dragonborn. An the minis I am going to use for 4E (from different sets) have a large variation of size, colour and shape- that is fine by me for the same reasons.

Wormwood

Adventurer
My only house rule: if the players want it, they get it. That includes tiefling horns and dragonborn boobs.

My precious snowflake sensibilities notwithstanding.

HeinorNY

First Post
Tieflings should have a tail attack, or at least a racial feat that gives them a tail sweep.
Maybe a tiefling weapon/armor with spikes that is attached to their tail.
I wanna use that tail for something.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads